• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I be asking potential accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I be asking potential accountants

Hi all,

I've just landed a contract to start in April, previously been working as an employed consultant for an agency (desperate times,out of work for 4 months). So I've called a lot of the accountants recommended her but wanted some advise about what would I be asking in specific? I'll be the only shareholder in my company and the initial contract is for 6 months, Have no clue when is comes to accounting...just don't want too break the law or owe Mr. taxman anything. Advise would be much appreciated Thank you.

Most contractor accountants are likely offer similar packages.

If it's a monthly fee, I would ask what's not included - in case there are services that you might need as a newbie that you may be charged for later.

As a newbie, if you've not done this before, you will need guidance and support. So make sure you have a main point of contact and can ask as many questions as you like!

Comment

Asking them if they like gladiators and if they know how to bleed radiators.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Asking them if they like gladiators and if they know how to bleed radiators.
        Or if they have a husband that can bleed them for you?!

Comment

A lot of them will offer free company formation so worth checking

Comment

Looking ahead, I'd ask if they provide a FreeAgent account as part of the deal. You'll know where you are financially, and makes your accounts more portable when you change accountants. That will be my next move anyway.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by midlandscontractor View Post
              just don't want too break the law or owe Mr. taxman anything.
              You'll find it difficult to not owe Mr. taxman anything without breaking the law!

All joking aside, as other's have suggested, ask them what bookkeeping software they provide (if any), maybe ask them for a demonstration of the software to see if you are comfortable with it. Personally I would say FreeAgent is the way to go.

As Louisa has mentioned, check what's not included.

Comment

Ask them about the qualifications of the staff who will look after you. Ideally go for an accountant who have one person solely looking after you. Obviously this is not always possible due to holidays etc, but if your accountant really gets to know you then you will benefit.

Some accountants use different staff for separate tasks, so you may have one doing your salary, one for VAT, one for queries, one for accounts etc. This isn't ideal and I would avoid this.

Get closed up on accountancy qualifications, some will try and fool you by quoting something like 'ACCA registered' , this usually means that they are a student, not always a problem, we all have to learn, but ensure you know what you are letting yourself in for.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

No point asking something when the answer doesn't mean anything to you IMO. Pick one of the recent recommendations from established posters or try one of the accountants that post good advice on here.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    No point asking something when the answer doesn't mean anything to you IMO. Pick one of the recent recommendations from established posters or try one of the accountants that post good advice on here.
                    The problem with that is that the person answering queries on here is unlikely to be personally looking after your accounts. If you think that they truly reflect the standards of the company then fair enough.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X