• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P60 2015 issues with accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P60 2015 issues with accountant

Hi there,

This is my first post and hoping someone can help with my situation. Hopefully this makes sense.

Scenario:
    I had an accountant for the periods up until Nov2014. With this accountant I was drawing out a monthly salary and paying my tax/ni and VAT - all of these were up to date until end of Nov2014. Soon after I tried to sign up to another accountant for which my old acct said they didn't seem legitimate therefore wouldn't pass on my old accounts. Therefore start of Mar2015 I signed up to another. The new accountants charged me from Dec onwards as I was working and company was active throughout.

Now my accountant has phoned me to say they've received no P60 for 2015 from my old accountants nor any accounts/reports etc until Apr15. Old accts have washed their hands as I finished with them Nov14. My current accountants said I have until Apr5 2016 to provide them a p60 otherwise Company House will close my company and highly likely take all the money in the business account.

Old accountant finished on Nov14
    New acct setup on Mar15...they advised me on salary/tax/ni from Dec-Mar onward. And all up to date.

Any advise on overcoming this? Or who is at fault?

Thanks

A P60 is a statement of earnings issued at the end of the tax year. This has no relation to Companies House winding up your company...

The P60 should be issued by your new accountant if you are with them at the end of the tax year. If you provide the previous payroll details for 2015/16, they can make sure they are included in the overall figure.

It sounds like you have other outstanding documents with Companies House, such as an annual return or annual accounts. If either of these documents remain overdue with Companies House for a long time, they will strike off the company and then the Treasury will take the funds from your business bank account.

I would suggest that you talk to your new accountant, to find out what is currently outstanding and bring everything up to date for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SPLondon View Post
      My current accountants said I have until Apr5 2016 to provide them a p60 otherwise Company House will close my company and highly likely take all the money in the business account.
      Fire them and speak to someone competent.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have to ask, why did you change accountants?

Very surprising that the original ones wouldn't forward the relevant info, I'm pretty sure they have an obligation to do so if requested, regardless of what they think of who it is being sent to.

As has been pointed out, a P60 has nothing to do with companies house. Unless your accountants are saying they cannot complete your annual return and accounts without it, which strikes me as odd.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

They do but they don't. My local one man band didn't send anything to SJD when I had to swap due to his endless cockups. He just ignored every mail and just ended up putting phone down to me. SJD picked me up quickly so just gave up with him despite SJD trying to help. Was a bit stressful at the time so just focussed on getting out. Should have reported him thinking back. What they are supposed to do and what they actually do can be very different things.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Therefore start of Mar2015 I signed up to another. The new accountants charged me from Dec onwards as I was working and company was active throughout."

Why were you paying an accountant when you weren't with them? Doesn't matter if you were trading, they were not providing you services during that timeframe.

Comment

Doesn't sound like your old accountant has done much wrong. Unsure what they decided about the first attempted new accountant made them not legitimate...I guess I'd suggest that wasn't really the accountant's place to decide, if you want to move from them to a potential cowboy, that's your call.

However, you left them in Nov 2014, I see no reason why they'd do payroll to Mar 2015 enabling them to produce a P60.

If your new accountant charged you from Dec 2014 to Mar 2015 (and onwards) then I'd suggest they should be expecting to deal with work from that point. I think they should be sorting out the 2015 P60.

As others have said though, I don't think this has any direct relevance to Companies House. Perhaps they're suggesting they don't want to finalise accounts until they have confirmed salary figures...but if so, I think it's their place to sort. If they've only done salary from Apr 2015 onwards, I'd suggest that's their issue.

They will likely need details of the payroll from Apr 2014 through to Nov 2014 which the first accountant should have and may/may not have already transferred over.

Comment

Working...
              X