• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE, contracts and work place pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE, contracts and work place pensions

Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody can advise me on paying a salary to myself and my wife.

I am the sole director of a private LTD. I am outside ir35 (or at least, believe myself to be and should have a pretty strong case). My wife is not a fee-earner but takes care of my admin and marketing.

I wish to pay my wife and myself a salary. However, I do not want to have to deal with work place pensions and such like because the LTD is essentially a second income and we already have pensions in place.

My question is, as sole director, can I pay myself and my wife (through PAYE) without having to put employment contracts in place (and deal with pensions and anything else associated with ‘employees’)?

Originally I was under the impression that I would have to make her a director to be able to do this, but some other links I’ve read have suggested I don’t need to go this far. I keep finding very old posts on the related subjects but since so many rules and regulations have changed in the last few years everything I’m finding seems to be out of date.

Please could somebody advise?

Many thanks,
    Rolf

Originally posted by RolfBaxter View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody can advise me on paying a salary to myself and my wife.

I am the sole director of a private LTD. I am outside ir35 (or at least, believe myself to be and should have a pretty strong case). My wife is not a fee-earner but takes care of my admin and marketing.

I wish to pay my wife and myself a salary. However, I do not want to have to deal with work place pensions and such like because the LTD is essentially a second income and we already have pensions in place.

My question is, as sole director, can I pay myself and my wife (through PAYE) without having to put employment contracts in place (and deal with pensions and anything else associated with ‘employees’)?

Originally I was under the impression that I would have to make her a director to be able to do this, but some other links I’ve read have suggested I don’t need to go this far. I keep finding very old posts on the related subjects but since so many rules and regulations have changed in the last few years everything I’m finding seems to be out of date.

Please could somebody advise?

Many thanks,
    Rolf
    Maybe, just maybe, that is what your accountant should be doing?

Comment

AFAIK if you make her a director OR company secretary without an employment contract then you wouldn't have to deal with auto-enrolment. That's the situation I'm in anyway.

Comment

Bearing in mind you are talking about £10's of K of money here and flirting with some very grey areas of legislation why aren't you booking some time with your accountant to discuss this rather than presenting a limited number of facts to a bunch of strangers???

I just can't get over the mentality that people bugger about with this type of thing on forums rather than asking a professional and doing it right.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like she'd be better off being Co Sec and a 50% shareholder. Then pay in dividends so as to not pay EE and ER NICs.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...kplace-pension

The above seems fairly clear.

If she is appointed as company secretary (or a director) and does not have a contract of employment then she is solely an office holder.

No enrolment is required for office holders.

But, if she is using her tax allowance elsewhere there is no tax saving to be made (save for potentially keeping you out of higher rates by paying her instead).

Of course what she is paid should be a fair rate for the job to keep squeaky clean.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Bearing in mind you are talking about £10's of K of money here and flirting with some very grey areas of legislation why aren't you booking some time with your accountant to discuss this rather than presenting a limited number of facts to a bunch of strangers???

I just can't get over the mentality that people bugger about with this type of thing on forums rather than asking a professional and doing it right.
              Because it's cheaper and they get (sometimes) some sensible guidance for further research.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Because it's cheaper and they get (sometimes) some sensible guidance for further research.
                <shudder>
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I assume you are paying her a fair wage for the responsibilities and not just as much as you think you can get away with...

If she is earning under £5,773 (exact figure may need double checking) she is not entitled to Auto Enrollment
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers all.

Indeed - I am beginning to think I should get an accountant. Since this is a second income and not going to be earning that much through it I am, for the moment, trying to keep things relatively simple without throwing money away at an accountant if it is unnecessary. Who knew paying my wife to do a bit of work for me would be so troublesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X