• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a contract you know you won't finish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have been looking for a new .sig . Cheers

I've been thinking about a new one too, how about:

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Bollocks.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You'll be upsetting people a little, sure. It's how you handle it that matters.

Also, make sure you do a good, professional job, i.e. if the project go live is the week after you plan to leave, then maybe better not to start, but if it's just work, do what you can to the best of your ability and leave it as cleanly as you can.
      seems like a sensible approach

cheers for the advice all, was expecting a barrage of "unprofessional behaviour etc"

Comment

Can you not sub a mate in?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Can you not sub a mate in?
          I thought about doing that on one gig but I hit a major snag......
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I thought about doing that on one gig but I hit a major snag......

no mates?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
              seems like a sensible approach

cheers for the advice all, was expecting a barrage of "unprofessional behaviour etc"
              IMO it is if you are making a habit of it, doing for insignificant reasons, leaving the client up tulip creek and the like. That would show a poor attitude towards you clients and reflect on the way you do business. That is when professionalism comes in to it.

In this rather extreme situation I think you can be a tad mercenary about it without having to question your professionalism. Nothing to say you can't leave when you want and handle the client well enough that he doesn't get left in the lurch so win win.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Here's an alternative option
                Get yourself walked nearer the time!
                I have worked alongside contractors who I am convinced had this in mind

Increasingly spend more and more of your working day whilst at the client site doing personal admin, personal web surfing, shopping, texting, phone calls etc. especially during conference calls. respond to questions in a vague and distracted way, display your obvious superiority by criticising every client process endlessly.

I am talking practice work avoidance for at least 50-75% of your time when on site any less might not get noticed unless you try really hard.

When WFH disappear for hours on end.

So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Just Keep Schtum and invoice...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I find it hard to take the mickey more than the permies. Just having someone there who isn't talking rubbish seems to be enough for a lot of companies.

Comment

Just don't see why you need to be creative. You've got a notice period, serve it for personal reasons. Do a good hand over and leave happy. Psychocandy advocates you don't this for the next gig that's paying 15 quid more so I'm sure it's OK if you are emigrating.

Nice to see you are concerned about doing the right thing but it really doesn't matter in this situation.
                      Umm No. I always advocate if theres a notice period then I see no issue with invoking it. No notice then I dont agree you should breach.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X