• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a contract you know you won't finish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a contract you know you won't finish

My current gig is up next month and I am in the process of interviewing for my next gig, most of which are 6 month contracts. The problem is, I plan to emigrate in just under 6 months so I know I won't complete the contract but I'd rather not spend the time on the bench. Obviously I'll be annoying the client and the agent if I take a role and then bail out before the contract is up but apart from finding a 3 month contract (which I'm struggling to find advertised anyway) I'm not sure what other options I have. Has anyone been in a similar position where you have accepted a contract you know you won't finish?

I don't want to be rude... And this probably goes again everything I've ever said but...

Why do you care? You have no professional reputation to care about, there will be no potential future fall out and so on. As long as you pick a gig with a notice period in it and use it properly what's the problem?

If you intend to breach just make sure where you emigrate to doesn't have an extradition treaty in place. Sorted.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I don't want to be rude... And this probably goes again everything I've ever said but...

Why do you care? You have no professional reputation to care about, there will be no potential future fall out and so on. As long as you pick a gig with a notice period in it and use it properly what's the problem?

If you intend to breach just make sure where you emigrate to doesn't have an extradition treaty in place. Sorted.

Don't breach, just terminate in the correct manner as agreed in the contract.

If it says 1 month notice, give at least 1 month. Don't be like some posters on here who ask whether it means 4 weeks or 31 days or whatever.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

well that's it, my option is to just do that and not really care about the consequences! i'm posting incase someone else had been in a similar position and came up with a creative solution other than just taking the gig and walking.....it's not ideal and I'd rather not do it but I don't really see an alternative right now

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Don't breach, just terminate in the correct manner as agreed in the contract.

If it says 1 month notice, give at least 1 month. Don't be like some posters on here who ask whether it means 4 weeks or 31 days or whatever.

agreed, I will definitely follow whatever the notice period is in the contract. I feel even doing that will be upsetting people so I don't want to rock the boat any more than I have to, even though i'm emigrating it doesn't pay to mess people around

Comment

My creative solutions would be to do this: take the gig, work the gig, own the solution, provide them with the solution before the gig end date. Reputation massively enhanced, you go early, everyone is happy.

Of course, there are tonne of contracts where doing that is completely outside of your control, but if you have that much sway over a project completion, that's what I'd be doing.

But if you're there to deliver a specific project, or provide specific consultancy, you may be able to deliver in less time than the client anticipated. E.g. I've implemented a Learning Management System a month ahead of schedule before. Advised Client they didn't need me any more, they let me go, everyone is happy.

Comment

Just don't see why you need to be creative. You've got a notice period, serve it for personal reasons. Do a good hand over and leave happy. Psychocandy advocates you don't this for the next gig that's paying 15 quid more so I'm sure it's OK if you are emigrating.

Nice to see you are concerned about doing the right thing but it really doesn't matter in this situation.

Comment

I have been looking for a new .sig . Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I have been looking for a new .sig . Cheers
                  Bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
                    agreed, I will definitely follow whatever the notice period is in the contract. I feel even doing that will be upsetting people so I don't want to rock the boat any more than I have to, even though i'm emigrating it doesn't pay to mess people around

You'll be upsetting people a little, sure. It's how you handle it that matters.

Also, make sure you do a good, professional job, i.e. if the project go live is the week after you plan to leave, then maybe better not to start, but if it's just work, do what you can to the best of your ability and leave it as cleanly as you can.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X