• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training course expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked similar question my accountant.
    In brief, i have just signed contract with an agency and soon will be staring IT contract for client they found. I have quite wide range of responsibilities and client has some parts of their infrastructure i'm not really an expert so thought about taking intensive weekend training to make up for deficiencies

The answer from accountant:

"Any expenses that you would like to put through your company have to be fully reimbursed by your agency. if your end client/Agency are not willing to reimbursed at 100%. Unfortunately you would not be able to put the expenses through, as is would be too aggressive."

So it doesn't look promising, i have a feeling like my accountant wouldn't like me to claim any expenses. Not sure what actually could do now.

Any advice ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      See I would have said a language would have failed the test. It's an enabler not a saleable skill. If an MBA is in the example if failing I would have said French sits along side. Interesting one.
      I've never really understood this training stuff. If a permie is sent by employer on a French course to enable them to do business with a French client, is it a BiK?

Comment

Originally posted by explorer12 View Post
        I asked similar question my accountant.
        In brief, i have just signed contract with an agency and soon will be staring IT contract for client they found. I have quite wide range of responsibilities and client has some parts of their infrastructure i'm not really an expert so thought about taking intensive weekend training to make up for deficiencies

The answer from accountant:

"Any expenses that you would like to put through your company have to be fully reimbursed by your agency. if your end client/Agency are not willing to reimbursed at 100%. Unfortunately you would not be able to put the expenses through, as is would be too aggressive."

So it doesn't look promising, i have a feeling like my accountant wouldn't like me to claim any expenses. Not sure what actually could do now.

Any advice ?
        I would consider changing my accountant
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

See I would have said a language would have failed the test. It's an enabler not a saleable skill. If an MBA is in the example if failing I would have said French sits along side. Interesting one.
          You would be surprised what skills are saleable.

In regards to languages there are always adverts with various degrees of fluency in different ones on.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I've never really understood this training stuff. If a permie is sent by employer on a French course to enable them to do business with a French client, is it a BiK?
            There is a difference between paying out for something that is going to generate more revenue and it's tax situation. We are focusing on the tax side of it here. If a contractor wants to learn French so he can get gig's then it's a good investment but doesn't meet the wording of the legislation.

God knows what corporates do. Maybe they are big enough to justify or argue it, maybe they don't claim tax relief at all. I dunno but it has little bearing on a one man band either way.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You would be surprised what skills are saleable.

In regards to languages there are always adverts with various degrees of fluency in different ones on.
              Yeah but you've got to add that skill to get the gig. So what's different to a PM learning C# to get a gig he couldn't normally?

Having fluency isn't the skill your selling. You are just doing it is someone else's languange. It isn't a skill to a French person.

MBA is an enabler, not linked directly to your skill, surely as a language is. You can still work in an English gig.

Anyway, seems pretty clear cut to me but as everything with HMRCs legislation it leaves too much to peoples interpretation.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah but you've got to add that skill to get the gig. So what's different to a PM learning C# to get a gig he couldn't normally?

Having fluency isn't the skill your selling. You are just doing it is someone else's languange. It isn't a skill to a French person.

MBA is an enabler, not linked directly to your skill, surely as a language is. You can still work in an English gig.

Anyway, seems pretty clear cut to me but as everything with HMRCs legislation it leaves too much to peoples interpretation.
                A PM could learn C# if they started of as a programmer and left recently. But why would they want to? They have moved away from that. Also they can very likely find a free course, and why pay for what you can get for free?

In regards to the spoken languages I know people who aren't fluent in one language but fluent in others get roles as long as they improved their fluency in the language they aren't fluent in. Again you are presuming that the person is only selling technical expertise but in this case they are also selling their language abilities.

The point is you have a very narrow definition of what skills are needed for IT roles there as HMRC does not simply because IT roles vary in different industries and overtime. They probably learnt like with not being initially able to claim for smartphones but just mobiles that roles aren't static.

Comment

Wow, what an unclear subject! Thanks for the replies, I'm going to put the course through, if a BA on a BA contract can't expense a BA course then I'd struggle to think of any situation in which someone could!

Comment

Originally posted by BAMike View Post
                    Wow, what an unclear subject! Thanks for the replies, I'm going to put the course through, if a BA on a BA contract can't expense a BA course then I'd struggle to think of any situation in which someone could!
                    Don't worry my accountants have issues with me claiming travel expenses to conferences in the UK even if they are free and I have no accommodation costs. They haven't worked out tech conferences have workshops and give you useful free stuff like books so aren't a jolly like in many other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      No - they have the client, so they are skilling someone up to do the work. Same as if you already had a contract with a French client, you could argue that the training is required for the business.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X