• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving Abroad to be in Same Time Zone as Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yes the move is permanent. Or at least I have no plans to return to the UK for the forseeable. Just curious what others would do.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor123 View Post
      And yes the move is permanent. Or at least I have no plans to return to the UK for the forseeable. Just curious what others would do.
      That would be a lifestyle change and not wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business so not claimable. The other comment in your previous mail kinda kills it dead..

If this client relationship ends, I would likely continue as a contractor out there.
      All the details in the first post would have saved a lot of time and asking 'I'm moving abroad, can the company pay for it' might have been a better question.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 9 June 2016, 11:11.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why not just claim it anyway, seeing you're shooting through, just don't get caught
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I already have a visa for the country I'm moving to so that's not an issue. If this client relationship ends, I would likely continue as a contractor out there.

Consensus seems to be no? I can certainly do the work remotely from the UK but it has not been ideal working basically 4pm -2am.
          Sounds like your plan to move is a permanent one, at least in the medium term. Why do you need a UK ltd company to work through? Can you not close your UK Ltd and set something up offshore / in the country you want to go to and work through that?

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
            Sounds like your plan to move is a permanent one, at least in the medium term. Why do you need a UK ltd company to work through? Can you not close your UK Ltd and set something up offshore / in the country you want to go to and work through that?
            I might set up a new company once I'm there. Just curious if I could have claimed for relocation. The purpose of my relocation is to be on the same timezone as my client. This is the sole reason i am relocating to the country i am moving to. Can anyone else say whether they would claim for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              This is a version of the more interesting question of what happens when all the Australasian contractors return home? Do they do final scrupulous accounts or do they take all the cash and give a tulip?
              So would uou be less concerned about claiming for alightly.more borderline expenses if you were leaving the UK permanently.

Comment

I might set up a new company once I'm there. Just curious if I could have claimed for relocation. The purpose of my relocation is to be on the same timezone as my client. This is the sole reason i am relocating to the country i am moving to. Can anyone else say whether they would claim for this?
                So you have had the same answer a number of times. It's a flat no. Keep asking until you get the right answer isn't going to work.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, you cannot claim for relocation. As an alternative, perhaps investigate the new company angle more fully. As a minimum, to see if there were transfer pricing advantages from UK to your new destination (maintaining both companies). You might also need to read up on CFCs https://www.gov.uk/guidance/controll...ny-an-overview
                  ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
                  X