• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repairs on rental property and claiming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairs on rental property and claiming

One of my properties has just has about 2k of repairs as a result of a water leak.

Is it a chargeable expense against the rent? I think it is.

"Typical maintenance/repair costs
    These are typical maintenance or repair costs that you are likely to incur, and which you can claim against your rental income:

repairing water/gas leaks, burst pipes"

However the majority of the costs were ripping out and replacing the shower in order to fix the leak (no improvements were done). Then making good the other assorted damage with new plasterboard and decoration.

[If I ever get the insurance claim accepted which is currently under discussion it's the same question but I assume only the insurance excess can be charged]

Yes, I would treat it as a repair, you are putting good something that went wrong. There is no element of improvement so it shouldn't be treated as capital.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I would agree that seems chargeable..
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Big repairs are, improvements aren't. I had an argument with my accountant about having to replace the kitchen cupboard doors and splash back. If they were tired and needed updating it was an improvement so I had to take photos of the unit that was damaged and provide the quote to replace all units due to not being able to get a single replacement and the splash back would be damaged as a result of the new units.

I got three quotes, non of which could repair the single unit so claimed it all but have kept photos and all quotes just in case it's questioned.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers,

I thought it should be and intended to claim it (or the excess).

Comment

Working...
          X