• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its been a while - return to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. 24 month rule relates to not being able to claim T&S when you know you will be working in the same geographic location for over 24 months. Plenty to read up on this in the links to the right. -->
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by polski View Post
      Assuming I am in 'IR35', is there no allowable expense? And does the 24 month rule mean that after this period, the client is still liable for something even if I'm paying myself most of the money in salary?
      Correct - if you are inside IR35 then you cannot claim travel and subsistence expenses.

The 24 month rule is irrelevant, because you can't claim travel and subsistence expenses due to your IR35 status.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
        you can't claim travel and subsistence expenses due to your IR35 status.
        Just looking at a new contract myself, which the wording squarely lands inside IR35.....
        I thought you could continue to claim fuel and accommodation?

Originally posted by SJD Website
        If you are inside/caught by IR35 is there any benefit in trading through my own limited company?
        If your contract and working practices look like you are inside IR35 you can still claim: traveling and accommodation expenses.....
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 4 August 2021, 12:29.

Comment

New rules came in April 16. Check the Future of Contracting forum.

If you follow the link you posted and the click in the expenses link it takes you to a page that tells you about IR35. Need to read more.

What if I’m inside IR35, what expenses can I claim?

If your contract is caught by IR35 then the only expenses claimable are: administration expenses which are fixed at 5% of your contract income, , pension contributions and certain professional subscriptions. You should however, still record and receipt all business expenses.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 4 August 2021, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Hi OP welcome back. I'm surprised that you say contracting will help you spend more time at home. It often means more travel, depending on where you live.
            Having spent nearly 4 years working away from home it the only chance at the moment of being home more! I Spent 11 years (89-00) contracting and following the work, i'm well aware it might only last 12 months, but better that than no prospect of doing so.

We move to South Wales, where the rates, salary and contract, are very provincial, and at the moment can't afford a 50% drop! So having to work away.

Comment

Originally posted by polski View Post
              Having spent nearly 4 years working away from home it the only chance at the moment of being home more! I Spent 11 years (89-00) contracting and following the work, i'm well aware it might only last 12 months, but better that than no prospect of doing so.

We move to South Wales, where the rates, salary and contract, are very provincial, and at the moment can't afford a 50% drop! So having to work away.

More like bank on a gig lasting 3 months and the rest is a bonus.

Comment

Working...
              X