• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vat only invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vat only invoice

Hi I am doing some work for a company and they have asked me could I send a separate invoice for the VAT a month later. My Ltd company is VAT registered, does anybody know why this would be and if it is even legal?

Thanks

Yes. Your accountant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If a company is asking you to do that it would indicate they are having finance problems so it would be a good idea to leave asap.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm fairly certain that as a VAT registered business you cannot invoice without VAT so their request is a non-starter.

You could choose to offer them an extended payment window but I wouldn't. I'd also agree with the above and start looking for a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          I'm fairly certain that as a VAT registered business you cannot invoice without VAT so their request is a non-starter.

You could choose to offer them an extended payment window but I wouldn't. I'd also agree with the above and start looking for a new contract.
          Sound advice as usual. OP, have you asked the client why?

Comment

Invoice

Would suggest you get the full invoice in (including the VAT) they will then have to negotiate the payment arrangement, whether it be part now and part later but ask why they want that kind of arrangement. Main point being to get the full invoice in to them in case there are any debt recovery problems.

Comment

Sounds illegal. And they are having cashflow issues.

If they don't pay up, report them to HMRC.

As others have suggested, ask why first.

Comment

It could simply be that they aren't yet VAT registered and want to wait until they can reclaim it...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  It could simply be that they aren't yet VAT registered and want to wait until they can reclaim it...
                  Sounds logical. When the boot has been on the other foot, I have sent invoices without VAT and then two weeks later once I have the certificate, sent VAT only invoices. Not had a problem.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    You can reclaim VAT from before you registered.

Sounds more likely they don't want to pay all the bill. But then having an invoice doesn't meant they have to pay all the bill anyway.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X