• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company - rent as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company - rent as an expense

Hi,

A friend is a doctor who normally lives in Wales, he has now moved to Essex (exclusively for work purposes) to locum at a hospital and now rents a private property whilst still paying a mortgage on his property in Wales. He has formed a limited company and the query is will he be able to claim rent as an expense? (the assumption is he is working outside IR35)

Thank you

Originally posted by rutar View Post
    Hi,

A friend is a doctor who normally lives in Wales, he has now moved to Essex (exclusively for work purposes) to locum at a hospital and now rents a private property whilst still paying a mortgage on his property in Wales. He has formed a limited company and the query is will he be able to claim rent as an expense? (the assumption is he is working outside IR35)

Thank you
    Tell him - Dont be signing no long lease now!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Has he had his contract reviewed by someone like QDOS for IR35..

As for the rent what does his accountant say?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why doesn't he come on himself so we can ask questions first hand?

But what Eek said...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't assume he is outside IR35 being a locum either.
          https://www.crunch.co.uk/blog/contra...oyment-status/

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-a...octor-and-ir35
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If he's outside IR35 and the property is solely for business purposes, then yes, in principle. Get him to speak to his accountant for full details though.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi,

Thank you
              If they are working for the same hospital for the next 12 months doing the same job as a permanent doctor I would be assuming they are inside IR35

Comment

Hi, to answer the queries there is no contract as such from the agency, so he's assuming that he's outside IR35 (like im sure the vast majority of contractors who are actually theoretically inside), im writing on his behalf as im au fait with the issues.. (relatively speaking anyhow). He is working for 3 different hospitals in the region

Comment

Hi, to answer the queries there is no contract as such from the agency, so he's assuming that he's outside IR35 (like im sure the vast majority of contractors who are actually theoretically inside), im writing on his behalf as im au fait with the issues.. (relatively speaking anyhow)
                  My IR35 test is very simple - are you doing the exact same job other permanent people do at the same place... - I don't I'm just half the price and twice as good as the consultancies that were previously doing this job.....

NLUK posted links that confirm my suspicions - a Locum working in a hospital in the NHS is going to have great difficulty showing that he isn't subject to IR35....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I know a contractor paying his rent via his ltd co
                    His landlord owns several properties via a ltd company and he is invoiced for "rent for commercial premises" when in fact this is for his own flat

Comment

Working...
                    X