• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First year accounts - bringing in assets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First year accounts - bringing in assets

Is it frowned upon to bring in assets / expenses in the first year of accounts? I have a lot of domains, hosting costs, office costs that pre-date the incorporation of my Ltd.

I know technically it's possible and assume as long as all is above board there should be no harm done - I just wonder if it could increases the chances of investigation (probably not something folk here can answer). I suspect my "profits" would be severely dampened by bringing them in.

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Is it frowned upon to bring in assets / expenses in the first year of accounts? I have a lot of domains, hosting costs, office costs that pre-date the incorporation of my Ltd.

I know technically it's possible and assume as long as all is above board there should be no harm done - I just wonder if it could increases the chances of investigation (probably not something folk here can answer). I suspect my "profits" would be severely dampened by bringing them in.
    No - it's completely normal and what 99% of businesses (should) do - if they're business expenses (with invoices/receipts etc) they should be on the company books - it would be more strange to put pre-incorporation expenses in the second or third year of accounts

Comment

Don't forget yourCo can also claim back the VAT for them, if registered for VAT (even on FRS)

Comment

Did your accountant not mention this to you or bave any guidance as part of their joining process?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I thought I could only claim back VAT (as I'm on FRS) on purchases 2K+?

Does anyone have insight to VAT claims on EU purchases? 99% of hosting costs is French, which has 20% VAT applied. Does FRS mean I can't claim this back? (Probably one for the accountant to answer).

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I thought I could only claim back VAT (as I'm on FRS) on purchases 2K+?

Does anyone have insight to VAT claims on EU purchases? 99% of hosting costs is French, which has 20% VAT applied. Does FRS mean I can't claim this back? (Probably one for the accountant to answer).
            What do you think it means?
            Maybe FRS isn't right for you.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Did your accountant not mention this to you or bave any guidance as part of their joining process?
              They did, I'm really asking for peace of mind, I want to know 100% wants going on with my accounting.

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              What do you think it means?
              Maybe FRS isn't right for you.
              My interpretation of FRS is exactly as outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme/overview

What I'm asking if there's a difference if domestic VAT vs. EU economic area. As I'm on FRS, does this carry on to EU purchases too.

Comment

What I'm asking if there's a difference if domestic VAT vs. EU economic area. As I'm on FRS, does this carry on to EU purchases too.
                Which part of the following are you having trouble understanding

you can’t reclaim the VAT on your purchases - except for certain capital assets over £2,000
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

They did, I'm really asking for peace of mind, I want to know 100% wants going on with my accounting.

My interpretation of FRS is exactly as outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme/overview

Have you asked your accountant? You're (in theory) paying them a lot of money for this sort of advice, which they'll be more update than most on here on as most on here are day rate microconsultancies.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Which part of the following are you having trouble understanding
                    OK so it's applicable intra-country in the EEA. It's seems a reasonable to question to ask.

Comment

Working...
                    X