• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Self Assessment - "Information we hold about you"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Self Assessment - "Information we hold about you"

Just started doing my SA for this year and noticed that HMRC have a new screen that will only be displayed once designed to show you the information they already know about you - it says this will then populate the values into the return.

My screen is blank though implying they either don't know anything or it's an error.

Has anyone seen anything interesting in this screen (ie. is it anything more than just your employer PAYE info).

I'm quite capable of filling in the boxes myself but am curious to know what would have been displayed here.....and whether it gives you an insight into HMRC's vast sources of data

Is that the new one that sends you a code everytime you login? I just filled it all in and didn't give it a second thought TBH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Like a lot of accountants, I've never used the HMRC screens for self submission, but I suspect this is to do with the ongoing project to pre populate returns with info they have from employers, banks, etc, and eventually to do way with Self Assessment and have some kind of ongoing confirmation as part of MTD.

HMRC do hold a lot of information behind the scenes, mostly benign, but occasional misuse, accidentally or maliciously, isn't unknown. They are, of course, coy about the extent and sources.

Comment

No it's after that when you start completing your actual return.

A screen comes up with "To help you complete your return we have shown below information which we hold.
        Once you have reviewed this information, it will be added to your return and you have the opportunity to amend or delete from the relevant sections. For more information, read the help notes.

The 'Information we hold on you' page will only be displayed once."

You then have to fill in a checkbox to confirm "I have viewed this information HMRC holds about me.* "

If I tick the checkbox I expect i'll never see this screen ever again hence why I was interested to know whether other people are also getting this page and seeing anything interesting on it (rather than a blank space!) I was hoping for a screen full of fascinating figures and revealing data sources

Comment

Sorry to revive such an old thread but Im not seeing anything newer

I got this screen for the first time and all the info in it is wrong, they have listed a company I dont work for, pension i dont have etc. HMRC have had an open ticket for it for weeks now and dont have an answer yet

Has anyone else had this problem? Im not sure if it will cause knock on problems if i ignore it and just delete all the info after accepting the tick box at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
          X