• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a US company in the UK with maybe European work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When "my friend" was contracting in CPH (for around 3 years), he was operating through UK Limited company, through an UK agency, being paid in GBP in the UK. he was commuting every week. Mon-Thu CPH, Fri - WFH. Occasionally WFH for a whole week. Never had any CPR number because main residence was in the UK. If you are planning to rent an apartment, you need CPR and will have to sign minimum contract of 6-12 months though.
    Last edited by itjobs; 25 September 2016, 16:27.

Comment

Originally posted by itjobs View Post
      When "my friend" was contracting in CPH (for around 3 years), he was operating through UK Limited company, through an UK agency, being paid in GBP in the UK. he was commuting every week. Mon-Thu CPH, Fri - WFH. Occasionally WFH for a whole week. Never had any CPR number because main residence was in the UK. If you are planning to rent an apartment, you need CPR and will have to sign minimum contract of 6-12 months though.
      People do get away with it but all it needs is a government tax audit of clientco, trace back via agentco and then a letter to contractorco asking how you want to pay the tax arrears to the Danish State plus penalties plus interest.

Comment

I've just had a call with a guy from Access Financial - I've looked them up on here and they have elicited quite a few comments....

They rang me because my Accountants (Brookson) asked them to talk to me about my situation.

I had no idea who they were or why I should need them - the guy I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable however.

One thing he mentioned which I'd like to put out there for comments is that if there is something in my contract with my Agency (in my case a US agency) that says I am UK based with occasional trips to other countries as and when necessary then I may be able to pay just UK taxes.

The US company I may be working on may well be putting me in other European countries also (Finland has been mentioned)

Does this sound like a dodgy idea?

Comment

Originally posted by gremlinsky View Post
          I've just had a call with a guy from Access Financial - I've looked them up on here and they have elicited quite a few comments....

They rang me because my Accountants (Brookson) asked them to talk to me about my situation.

I had no idea who they were or why I should need them - the guy I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable however.

One thing he mentioned which I'd like to put out there for comments is that if there is something in my contract with my Agency (in my case a US agency) that says I am UK based with occasional trips to other countries as and when necessary then I may be able to pay just UK taxes.

The US company I may be working on may well be putting me in other European countries also (Finland has been mentioned)

Depends on each country, how your business is set up e.g. number of directors and whether it is work or meetings.

You have to do a mixture of working out yourself and getting professional help to find it out as it is country specific.

Here is a link to the Finnish tax pages in English linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, it's just you and yourco that matters to the Danish tax people, the agency doesn't enter into it since they aren't working in Denmark.

I can link the people I'm working through if the mods will allow me to. They know the law in this area inside out.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              There is a poster currently working in Denmark but he's there all the time.
              I miss Threaded

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Yes, it's just you and yourco that matters to the Danish tax people, the agency doesn't enter into it since they aren't working in Denmark.

I can link the people I'm working through if the mods will allow me to. They know the law in this area inside out.
                Thanks - that would be good - or pm me?

Comment

This person only seems knowledgeable because you're not. What he's told you is complete nonsense. If you meet the UK statutory residence test, you're UK tax resident, and the same applies to other states (i.e. whatever test they have in place). The terms in your contract are completely irrelevant, as tax residency is based on reality.

Comment

Even if this were true, do you think that working in the same country for four days of the week counts as an occasional trip?

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                      Even if this were true, do you think that working in the same country for four days of the week counts as an occasional trip?
                      I would agree - if I definitely am.
                      But if I'm working for 3 or 4 days in Denmark then a week or 2 in Finland then somewhere else that seems more occasional.

IPSE recommend ItsInternational Limited - I will get in touch with them also.

I think what I need to do is to find out exactly what I'm going to be required to do and where before wasting everyone's time with half questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X