• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency won't stop Self Billing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Create your own invoice by all means.

To prevent the duplicate Tax Point, just head it "Pro-forma Invoice", and keep it for your records as a cross-reference.
    I can't because the agency are the ones creating the duplicate tax point.
    Last edited by openshac; 6 October 2016, 16:06.

Comment

Then forget about the term duplicate tax point and just raise a "Pro-forma Invoice". KISS.
      Last edited by Scruff; 6 October 2016, 15:51. Reason: Spellink, as usual
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

One of the invoices is valid and the other one isn't. Which one it is depends on whether you have a self billing agreement and in writing.

With an agreement in place, however you account internally, you certainly must not be issuing invoices. However without such an agreement you must issue invoices. The agency can decide to ignore these just as you can decide to ignore theirs, or you treat theirs as a remittance note. All fine until there's a discrepancy or the VAT man comes calling, although technically the agency is in the wrong.

What can you do?

- ask the agent for a copy of the self billing agreement, sign and return it, then stop issuing invoices. Agent is happy. You maybe not so, but at least still in contract.

- escalate, citing failure to comply with VAT rules. Be aware that they are perfectly within right to require self-billing as a term of business, in which case your final option is...

- give notice to terminate. And if you feel that strongly about it then also put it in writing about their failure with VAT compliance as the reason.

IMHO, the agent would need to be either stupid or on a ludicrously tight margin in order to decline the request to not self bill.

Btw, the VAT requirement for "serial numbering" is a red herring here, it's just as easily an argument that raising your own un-issued duplicate would break the numbering scheme for legitimately issued invoices.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          None at all. On second thoughts, quitting the gig would stop them pretty smartish.
          You are going to drop a gig over this? It's lie shooting yourself in the face because a fly landed on your forehead...

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          ~snip~In our defence there is also a requirement that our invoices are numbered sequentially, ~snip~
          Wait, what? I thought the only requirement is for the invoices to have unique numbers. I have been using different "series" of invoices for different clients and my accountant haven't mentioned anything.

My way of dealing with self billing is to create an exact duplicate of the agency self bill invoice (dates, numbers, invoice items) in FreeAgent for my own sake, but not send it to the client. Maybe i'm doing it wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            My way of dealing with self billing is to create an exact duplicate of the agency self bill invoice (dates, numbers, invoice items) in FreeAgent for my own sake, but not send it to the client. Maybe i'm doing it wrong...
            I hope not because that's exactly what I'm doing as well :|
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are going to drop a gig over this? It's lie shooting yourself in the face because a fly landed on your forehead...

Wait, what? I thought the only requirement is for the invoices to have unique numbers. I have been using different "series" of invoices for different clients and my accountant haven't mentioned anything.

Storm in a tea cup this thread, can't really see the issue here.

As long as HMRC see the invoice records properly accounted for they really won't look at anything else.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And me.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Because of FreeAgent's inability to deal with self-billing invoices properly, you most certainly *should* be doing this as its the only way in FreeAgent to ensure that the income is recorded on the correct date in the right VAT quarter unless you're using cash basis accounting.

If you just explain the payment when you reconcile your bank account there's a risk the income will be recorded in the wrong VAT quarter and your VAT returns will be wrong. Its not the worst thing in the world as you effectively correct the error on your next return but better to get it right in the first place.

I made this mistake years ago...I actually get paid by commission from FreeAgent for the number of referrals I've made and they do it on a self-billing basis. For ages I was just explaining the payments before I realised the error.

Comment

Whoosh, that's the sound of a sarcastic post as it goes straight over your head!
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I've done this in the past.

Then I got an agency where you could put in your own invoice number.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X