• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan to a friend from LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kolata View Post
    No, no chance to write off the loan, and to get the money for myself.
    I guess she can apply for a bank loan, but at ~4.5% minimum I don't see why the she needs to feed the bank
    Granted she will pay 3% to LTD, but this will stay in the LTD (after 20% corp tax on the 3%).
    Much cheaper than a bank loan.
    Why not send her to a p2p lender?
    No banks involved and no risk to you.
    Here's one https://www.zopa.com/
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You consider your MIL a friend?

Joke aside, if you are determined to do it, best way IMHO is (like others have already suggested) to take the money as a director loan and lend your MIL personally. Instead of charging her 3% interest just let her cover the BIK payable for the director loan.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        You consider your MIL a friend?

Joke aside, if you are determined to do it, best way IMHO is (like others have already suggested) to take the money as a director loan and lend your MIL personally. Instead of charging her 3% interest just let her cover the BIK payable for the director loan.

Are you suggesting that it is akin to a Fly suggesting a Venus Fly Trap is a friend?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In my mind if I lend someone money I also have be prepared to come in all guns blazing in the event it goes wrong. Doesn't matter what the fall out is as long as I get my money back. That is NOT an option when the MIL is involved. You are gonna be fighting her and your missus. There is the other factor they'll be less inclined to pay you back than anyone else.

If they do decide to mess you about your company finances is going to be the loser and they won't appreciate that could open you up to unwanted scrutiny in a rather extreme case. Seems a hell of a lot of potential fall out for very little benefit.

Interesting article about loans that specifically mentions loans to family members here although I suspect you've covered these points. The pertinent point is to speak to your accountant about it.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:54.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The fact that this "friend" has to knock on your door for a loan means she can't get a normal loan anywhere else as her creditscore must be very very bad, which means chances of him repaying you are very close to zero

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;2318020]In my mind if I lend someone money I also have be prepared to come in all guns blazing in the event it goes wrong. Doesn't matter what the fall out is as long as I get my money back. That is NOT an option when the MIL is involved. You are gonna be fighting her and your missus. There is the other factor they'll be less inclined to pay you back than anyone else.

If they do decide to mess you about your company finances is going to be the loser and they won't appreciate that could open you up to unwanted scrutiny in a rather extreme case. Seems a hell of a lot of potential fall out for very little benefit.

Interesting article about loans that specifically mentions loans to family members here although I suspect you've covered these points. The pertinent point is to speak to your accountant about it.

Only usually one loser in that fight, hope the OP has cojones of steel
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:54.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks for your concerns guys. I consider this move to be very low risk.
                As you know there is a risk involved in going to the toilet as well. But we all go.

My question was merely about the legality of it.
                As always very little help.

Comment

Thanks for your concerns guys. I consider this move to be very low risk.
                  As you know there is a risk involved in going to the toilet as well.

My question was merely about the legality of it.

Absolute rubbish, you have had plenty of help.

In fact, this type of whinging of "no help" heavily reminds me of a couple of other banned posters.
                  If you want any extra help, just go and pay a professional.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You got what you paid for.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You got what you paid for.
                      Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      , just go and pay a professional.
                      OK

Comment

Working...
                      X