• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan to a friend from LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan to a friend from LTD

Hi
    I have a friend who needs some money.
    Since I have some funds in my co's account, I was wondering if I can give him a loan from the LTD of £15000. Like directors loan, but to a friend that has nothing to do with LTD.
    I will charge him 3% interest and the loan will be repaid within 9 months after LTD year end.

In the past I received a loan from the company I was employee at at no interest at all, but it was less that 10000.

Is this legal/allowed at all?

Originally posted by kolata View Post
    Hi
    I have a friend who needs some money.
    Since I have some funds in my co's account, I was wondering if I can give him a loan from the LTD of £15000. Like directors loan, but to a friend that has nothing to do with LTD.
    I will charge him 3% interest and the loan will be repaid within 9 months after LTD year end.

In the past I received a loan from the company I was employee at at no interest at all, but it was less that 10000.

Is this legal/allowed at all?
    It would change the nature of your business. Therefore I think it's probably not allowed.
    You could setup a new LTD co, where the current co. is the sole owner and director. It sets it up with the £15k capital (+ some for expenses). New Co. would probably have to be regulated by the FCA as well as a provider of credit.

Sounds very messy. Why not charge him 7.5% interest, take it as divis and loan it personally?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      It would change the nature of your business. Therefore I think it's probably not allowed.
      You could setup a new LTD co, where the current co. is the sole owner and director. It sets it up with the £15k capital (+ some for expenses). New Co. would probably have to be regulated by the FCA as well as a provider of credit.

Sounds very messy. Why not charge him 7.5% interest, take it as divis and loan it personally?
      or take it as a directors loan and lend it to him personally. You'll have to pay some BIK tax on that. Check with your accountant how much.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you want to gain an enemy lend your friend the money, otherwise give it as a gift. If you can't afford that then don't lend the money.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Neither a borrower nor lender be.

And certainly not with 'friends'...

Comment

Good points, I would say in addition, if you can't afford to ultimately lose it then don't lend it.

Actually...................I'm a far better bet and I need £30K, how about you get the loan for me instead
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Never mix business and friendship.

If you must, I would take the loan myself from the company and then give him a loan directly rather than involving your business in your friendship.

Comment

I see your concern about the friend.
                Read friend = my wife's mother. Wife is 49% share holder in ltd.

How's this setup?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Good points, I would say in addition, if you can't afford to ultimately lose it then don't lend it.

Actually...................I'm a far better bet and I need £30K, how about you get the loan for me instead
                  Shamefully this is true. As the OP doesn't know you it will be a full commercial arrangement.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                    I see your concern about the friend.
                    Read friend = my wife's mother. Wife is 49% share holder in ltd.

How's this setup?
                    Even more stupid to lend money to a parent / in-law and charge interest. Pay some dividends and let your wife support her mother from those.

Comment

Working...
                    X