• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staff ID Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staff ID Advice

Afternoon all,

After a bit of advice, Been at client co for some time now (The department is in its own satellite office and is about a 50/50 split with permies and contractors).

Today we received an email saying that there is a requirement for all CLIENTCO staff to be in possession of a CLIENTCO Photo ID card and to display it at all times. They have clarifies that this applied to (and I quote) "all colleagues whether Permanent, Contract or third party"

There is someone coming round in the next week to take pictures of us...

I dont mind wearing an identity card, its an office that requires SC Clearance and there are alot of people coming and going so it makes sense, my concern is around the wording, and the fact that Im pretty sure its going to say "Staff ID" at the top like the permies cards...

Is there any guidance that anyone is aware of that I can quote when making my case for having different cards to the permie staff?

Before anyone comes in and says that contractors should sign in as a visitor every day remember the 50/50 split that I mentioned, that would not be practical, also the requirement is for everyone to have photo ID so a visitors pass would be inadequate (if just a standard paper clip on job) or prohibitively expensive (If they issued a picture ID to everyone that comes into the building).

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is it going to have "contractor" printed on the ID card or being in a different colour as is often the case? If so - it's more of a win.

If it doesn't contractors are often referred to as "staff" and i'm suprised you haven't seen this before. If you are working practices and contract are in order, this is not a big issue in terms of IR35.

On top of everything
    all colleagues whether Permanent, Contract or third party
    This affects everyone even 3rd parties so why the hell are you so obsessed with it?

Comment

Keep the email - the key words are "whether Permanent, Contract or third party".

Everyone has to have one, so I see no problem with it.

Comment

Agreed. Attempt to get a contractor one that differs but if then don't have one then just go with it. The fact they just don't physically have different badges can't be held against you. It's the clients problem not yours. I'd not be happy if I had a perm one when contractor ones were available though.

At the end of the day you are complying with the clients security policies and wishes. It would be very difficult to use that against you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers all, thats what I thought, just wanted to be sure, Ill email and ask if they are distinguishing between staff and contractors.

Quote : "This affects everyone even 3rd parties so why the hell are you so obsessed with it?" Your threshold for obsession seems very low, I only posted a few sentences online asking for advice (On a forum for that very purpose no less).

I am interested where they draw the distinction between contractors and third parties... As I consider myself to be a third party supplier to them but I suspect they don't see it that way.

Anyway, Thanks again, Ill grab my company branded ID, tie and travel mug on the way out to the company car

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            I am interested where they draw the distinction between contractors and third parties... As I consider myself to be a third party supplier to them but I suspect they don't see it that way.

Anyway, Thanks again, Ill grab my company branded ID, tie and travel mug on the way out to the company car
            The problem with this line of thinking is that they simply won't have a definition like that. But, I've been a permie consultant and had to do this stuff so I wouldn't worry too much. Do you really want to be seen in the same light as the guy who pops in to fill up the coffee machine?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Do you really want to be seen in the same light as the guy who pops in to fill up the coffee machine?
              Snarf changes the tapes so I think he'll find your example quite offensive

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Snarf changes the tapes so I think he'll find your example quite offensive

Its worse than that.. Im a developer, thats a role that carries less importance than the coffee machine guy... I know my place

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  Its worse than that.. Im a developer, thats a role that carries less importance than the coffee machine guy... I know my place

Comment

Working...
                  X