• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asbestos removal home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos removal home office

Hi,

It's come to light during refurbishment of a single room in my home (where all my office work is undertaken) that there is asbestos within the tiles on the roof.

Would I be able to claim the professional disposal of this material as an expense within my Ltd company?

Thanks,

Jez

Is it wholly and exclusively for business purposes? Being in your main home, the answer to that is almost certainly no.

So that would be no.

Congratulations for coming up with an original "Can I claim this..." though.

Comment

Originally posted by jezorama View Post
      Hi,

It's come to light during refurbishment of a single room in my home (where all my office work is undertaken) that there is asbestos within the tiles on the roof.

Would I be able to claim the professional disposal of this material as an expense within my Ltd company?

Thanks,

Jez
      There is your answer right there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Is it wholly and exclusively for business purposes? Being in your main home, the answer to that is almost certainly no.

So that would be no.

Congratulations for coming up with an original "Can I claim this..." though.

Comment

Asbestos

That's probably the most original one have come across in a while.

Comment

Many tiles both roof and floor have asbestos in them, they are not a danger unless they are breaking up and the particles are airborne (you drill through them creating dust), if they are still intact just take them off the roof and drop them in the skip or take them down the local recycling you don't need an expert to remove them.

You can claim the mileage to the recycling centre because the tiles came from the office roof

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              That's probably the most original one have come across in a while.
              With their first post too...

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                You can claim the mileage to the recycling centre because the tiles came from the office roof
                You can? Didn't they come of the room in the OP's house that the office rents?

they are still intact just take them off the roof and drop them in the skip or take them down the local recycling you don't need an expert to remove them.
                Are you sure about this? You might not need an expert but surely you've got to dispose of them properly?
                Last edited by northernladuk; 11 October 2016, 15:31.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Are you sure about this? You might not need an expert but surely you've got to dispose of them properly?
                  Depends on the council, some will accept some types of asbestos-containing materials for free at the local tip.

Comment

My local big tip will take asbestos on appointment, it needs to be double bagged in thick plastic sealed with tape.

Comment

Working...
                    X