• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoices in certain template

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I've noticed a couple of threads talking about sequential numbering. This is news to me so I've emailed my accountant.
    My invoice numbering is like this

xxxYYYYMMyy

xxx = identifies the customer
    YYYY = guess what
    MM = guess what
    yy = sequential number to make sure I can generate more than 1 invoice per month per customer

The VAT link you put states "a sequential number based on one or more series which uniquely identifies the document". And one dictionary for sequential states "forming or following in a logical order or sequence"

So am I doing it right or wrong?
    Right.

My invoices have a three letter code for the client and then a three digit sequential number after it. Sometimes I will include a three letter code for the agency if I am likely to work for the client again. As long as they are sequential, then that's all that matters - it also means that if I work with an agency that uses self billing, their invoice number isn't going to clash with anything that I use / have used.

Comment

I've noticed a couple of threads talking about sequential numbering. This is news to me so I've emailed my accountant.

xxxYYYYMMyy

YYYY = guess what
      MM = guess what
      yy = sequential number to make sure I can generate more than 1 invoice per month per customer

The VAT link you put states "a sequential number based on one or more series which uniquely identifies the document". And one dictionary for sequential states "forming or following in a logical order or sequence"

Wong, IMHO.

The xxx and yy are ok.

The YYY and MM are not.

HMRC have their own dictionary. Who knows what they really mean or hope to gain from this, but then what is there to gain from bucking the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Wong, IMHO.

The xxx and yy are ok.

The YYY and MM are not.

HMRC have their own dictionary. Who knows what they really mean or hope to gain from this, but then what is there to gain from bucking the norm?
        My accountant say it's fine.
        It is sequential. It is unique.
        Quote "there is no requirement that invoice number must be in numeric sequential order"

And I use that method for all my documents as they sort in date order in a filesystem when sorted alphabetically. It pleases me when that happens and I've used it since the 90s.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

xxxYYYYMMyy

YYYY = guess what
          MM = guess what

Sounds fine to me, as one or more series can be used?

As long as there are no dupes, you will be fine?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Wong, IMHO.

The xxx and yy are ok.

The YYY and MM are not.
            In what way are YYYY and MM not series?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
              In what way are YYYY and MM not series?
              On the presumption that the VAT man wants an easy way to spot missing (or bogus) invoices - it breaks that.

I was offering an opinion that's all. If anyone wants to interpret the rule as permitting 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, 6765, 10946, 17711, 28657, 46368, 75025, 121393, 196418, 317811, ... that's fine by me too.

Come to think of it, where does it say they have to be integers?

Sequences

Comment

On the presumption that the VAT man wants an easy way to spot missing (or bogus) invoices - it breaks that.

[/url]
                I think the VAT man just wants to make sure you're not 'disappearing' invoices. Which is not the sort of fraud a PSC would do in the first place.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X