• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing personal mobile phone account to be in the name of my company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    with EE you can get double the advertised data pretty easily if you go in store
    Unfortunately the staff in mobile phone shops tend to be cretins and they also lie so you have to go to a few stores to get decent service. If you don't have time for that it's quicker to deal with them over the phone.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As has already been said, the phone contract has to be between the provider and the limited company to avoid a pecuniary liability tax charge.

Having the company name on the address field does not cut it.

It really is simple. If you want the tax advantage, do what needs to be done. Do not shortcut it or try and work round it, do what is bloody required!

PS - if your accountant has told you that putting the name on the address line will suffice, you better look for a new accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
        As has already been said, the phone contract has to be between the provider and the limited company to avoid a pecuniary liability tax charge.

Having the company name on the address field does not cut it.

It really is simple. If you want the tax advantage, do what needs to be done. Do not shortcut it or try and work round it, do what is bloody required!

PS - if your accountant has told you that putting the name on the address line will suffice, you better look for a new accountant.

+1.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Agree. Look at it this way...if you were to stop paying the bills, who would the network chase for the unpaid debt - you, or YourCo? A correspondence address does not change who the contract is between.

Comment

Perhaps the accountant is taking a pragmatic view that HMRC have bigger fish to fry than chasing someone on a technicality for BiK, especially if the phone were genuinely being used for business, number quoted on website and cards, etc. - which is what the OP needs to do, IMHO.
            Last edited by Contreras; 25 October 2016, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Unfortunately the staff in mobile phone shops tend to be cretins and they also lie so you have to go to a few stores to get decent service. If you don't have time for that it's quicker to deal with them over the phone.
              It is quicker to visit the entire UK branch network than to deal with EE over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Perhaps the accountant is taking a pragmatic view that HMRC have bigger fish to fry than chasing someone on a technicality for BiK, especially if the phone were genuinely being used for business, number quoted on website and cards, etc. - which is what the OP needs to do, IMHO.
                Fair enough and I accept this as pragmatic advice.

However, the OP has to be aware that in the event of an enquiry, it will be picked up.

Conclusion, pragmatic advice, but not good tax advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  It is quicker to visit the entire UK branch network than to deal with EE over the phone.
                  Having read this thread, it'd be quicker just to get a phone personally and pay for it personally or is there a massive a tax saving to be had that I'm not noticing?

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                    Having read this thread, it'd be quicker just to get a phone personally and pay for it personally or is there a massive a tax saving to be had that I'm not noticing?
                    This!!

I think people would be very surprised on how little all this actually saves on a basic contract for the hassle. Anyone thinking it's free because the company is paying for it is gonna have to go re-visit and understand their finances better.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Oddly enough I've had no problems dealing with EE with my business phone contract but when I took out home broadband with them I had to write to their CEO to stop them from billing me.

It seems to be common though that business customers are treated preferably to home customers.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X