• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing personal mobile phone account to be in the name of my company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing personal mobile phone account to be in the name of my company

Hi, wondered if anyone had any tips on this.

I’ve got a SIM-only contract I really like with EE (well, it’s actually a really old T-mobile account).

I asked them if I could put it in the name of my company and they’re requiring that I move onto a whole new price plan.

If I’m going to do that, I might as well change provider entirely.

Do I actually need to have a business account, or can I just keep a personal account and put a business name on it?

I’d guess an angle is to just keep on calling up till I get what I want, but wondered if anyone had any experience of this sort of thing? And if not – anyone you’d recommend for a business account?

Thanks

Assuming that you are using the phone exclusively for business, what is the reason for wanting to switch? Save like £5/month from tax?

Comment

Originally posted by booms View Post
      Hi, wondered if anyone had any tips on this.

I’ve got a SIM-only contract I really like with EE (well, it’s actually a really old T-mobile account).

I asked them if I could put it in the name of my company and they’re requiring that I move onto a whole new price plan.

If I’m going to do that, I might as well change provider entirely.

Do I actually need to have a business account, or can I just keep a personal account and put a business name on it?

I’d guess an angle is to just keep on calling up till I get what I want, but wondered if anyone had any experience of this sort of thing? And if not – anyone you’d recommend for a business account?

Thanks
      Just change the direct debit to your companies bank. That'll do.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Just change the direct debit to your companies bank. That'll do.
        Not sure about that. Must admit I don't know if it's the same for sim only but in a contract it has to be in the company name. Even though there is no contract the details being in your name makes it yours and your company is just paying for it. That is why they are telling him he has to have a business one.

I'd be asking my accountant, which the OP should have done first.

If the deal is that good and the little he'll actually save I'd just stay as he is.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 21 October 2016, 12:31.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'd be asking my accountant, which the OP should have done first.
          I did ask my accountant as Vodafone sold me a business account but never put the business name on the contract. Accountant said just switch the DD.

It matters very little these days as mobile doesn't need to be exclusively for business anymore.

UPDATE EDIT : I have just changed billing address so that the 'flat number/name' is now my company name. That should double-sort it.
          Last edited by Lance; 21 October 2016, 12:41.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I did ask my accountant as Vodafone sold me a business account but never put the business name on the contract. Accountant said just switch the DD.
            But you've still got a business account. There is a huge difference between incorrect owning entity and an admin oversight. HMIT will be able to spot that and may accept it. A personal account being paid for by the business he will not.

It matters very little these days as mobile doesn't need to be exclusively for business anymore.
            Rubbish. You are allowed some private use on the BUSINESS PHONE. It still has to be owned properly by the business. You might think it is irrelevant but HMIT will not.

Comment

But you've still got a business account. There is a huge difference between incorrect owning entity and an admin oversight. HMIT will be able to spot that and may accept it. A personal account being paid for by the business he will not.

Rubbish. You are allowed some private use on the BUSINESS PHONE. It still has to be owned properly by the business. You might think it is irrelevant but HMIT will not.

So what about a SIM only contract and the phone owned by the business and an asset on the books?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So what about a SIM only contract and the phone owned by the business and an asset on the books?
                You mean a personal SIM only contract in the persons name like the OP? He pays that personally but the phone has been paid for by the company then there is no problem there. The business can't pay for someone's personal stuff. That's all I'm saying.

Well it can but BIK comes in but lets not go there.

Comment

You mean a personal SIM only contract in the persons name like the OP? He pays that personally but the phone has been paid for by the company then there is no problem there. The business can't pay for someone's personal stuff. That's all I'm saying.

Well it can but BIK comes in but lets not go there.
                  It was all a bit of a cock up at the start of my business.
                  I have all the email trail of evidence, but the upshot is that Vodafone setup the account in my name as I didn't have 3 months of company bank statements. I set the DD to be the company bank ASAP.
                  So it had never been mine personally, but the paperwork got messy.
                  All down to setting up a company in 3 days to secure a contract.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Actually makes me think, I'm on local payroll now, but I still use my mobile paid for by my sleeping Ltd, not dormant yet, just not operating.

I can use my Ltd for any days I work outside Denmark, usually 5/6 days a month. Most likely not worth it, as I'm only paying 30% tax on local payroll, doubt I'd save much by using ltd for non-DK days.

Better think about the Three account I have for my Ltd though, I shouldn't be using it wholly personally but it's a contract, I can't just cancel it can I?

Comment

Working...
                    X