• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shoving some dividends into the missus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    aren't alphabet shares basically not covered by the Arctic Systems test case?
    And therefore unproven.
    If they have the same rights as missinggreenfield says it appears to be accepted as OK.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
      I'll just reiterate the words I took professional advice and guidance to try to avoid the inevitable posts.
      So did a lot of people caught up in tax avoidance schemes too.

Myself, I think the use of alphabet shares is one step too far for a basically one band band Ltd Co. Most accountants would agree. Additionally, the use of alphabet shares by the likes of Brookson etc was one key reason the MSC regulations came into force. Hence, HMRC seriously dislike them.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Myself, I think the use of alphabet shares is one step too far for a basically one band band Ltd Co. Most accountants would agree. Additionally, the use of alphabet shares by the likes of Brookson etc was one key reason the MSC regulations came into force. Hence, HMRC seriously dislike them.
        I agree with Fred, have 50:50 share distribution, normal shares wife is Company Secretary. Wld avoid Aphabetty Spaghetti shares personally - no such thing as a free lunch
        "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Some interesting reading linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Some interesting reading linky
            This

Thus, as long as a spouse (or civil partner) is given ordinary shares (carrying the normal full range of rights), any dividends paid on the shares should be treated as their income and the settlements legislation would not apply.

Many advisers prudently recommend that dividends paid to a spouse should be paid into their own separate bank account (as opposed to the couple’s joint account).
            "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
              This
              Many advisers prudently recommend that dividends paid to a spouse should be paid into their own separate bank account (as opposed to the couple’s joint account).
              Why?

My spouse and I only have a joint account, no individual accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                Why?

Because it looks you are allocating the divi to her to avoid the taxation on yourself but receiving the benefit when it hit's your joint account. Someone else will provide a posher explanation with big words shortly.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                  Why?

as do we. I pay my divi to one joint account and pay her divi to another joint account.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Myself, I think the use of alphabet shares is one step too far for a basically one band band Ltd Co.
                    Why? At what point is it not too far - two people, three, four, more?

Additionally, the use of alphabet shares by the likes of Brookson etc was one key reason the MSC regulations came into force. Hence, HMRC seriously dislike them.
                    I'm sure you know more about it than I do, but I cannot see how alphabet shares link into MSC legislation at all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Because it looks you are allocating the divi to her to avoid the taxation on yourself but receiving the benefit when it hit's your joint account. Someone else will provide a posher explanation with big words shortly.
                      hits

I can't understand just having one bank account - far too easy to break the £75k protection limit that way!

Comment

Working...
                      X