• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming expenses from Dividend Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming expenses from Dividend Tax

Hi Folks

I have been a contractor now for several Yrs. Have been messed about by the "Company I work through" for a while.
    I was originally through an umbrella. Then a sole Trader, Then Ltd company Through an agency and now a Limited Company in partnership with a colleague that I work alongside.

All these changes were forced upon us.

Anyway to the point.

We are paying ourselves Minimum wages and the rest in dividends.
    I wish to purchase items for work to make life easier to do my job. The person I work with I think is looking to retire next year (He is older than me) So he wants to spend nothing.

I will need to do a personal tax return at the end of the Year.
    If I purchase items, Obviously I cannot claim any tax back on earnings as I will not have paid any.
    I will however have quite a bit of Tax to pay on Dividends on my return.

Is this all lumped together on the return and will I be able to claim items as expenses even though the Tax has been charged on the Dividends.

Any advice appreciated

Time to stop avoiding issues

Originally posted by norush View Post
    Any advice appreciated
    Get out the Company Cheque Book and buy the items you want.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Folks

I have been a contractor now for several Yrs. Have been messed about by the "Company I work through" for a while.
      I was originally through an umbrella. Then a sole Trader, Then Ltd company Through an agency and now a Limited Company in partnership with a colleague that I work alongside.

All these changes were forced upon us.

Anyway to the point.

We are paying ourselves Minimum wages and the rest in dividends.
      I wish to purchase items for work to make life easier to do my job. The person I work with I think is looking to retire next year (He is older than me) So he wants to spend nothing.

If I purchase items, Obviously I cannot claim any tax back on earnings as I will not have paid any.

Is this all lumped together on the return and will I be able to claim items as expenses even though the Tax has been charged on the Dividends.

Any advice appreciated
      This is one reason why running a limited between 2 contractors is a terrible idea. How is it possible this was "forced upon" you?

I'd be looking to get out of this arrangement and set up your own limited.

This is very different to how most people on here probably operate, so you should really be seeking professional advice. Or in other words:

Originally posted by northernladuk
      Get an accountant

Comment

Start a new company without him. Loan the company some seed money and buy the things that you need to buy for the company. Repay the loan when you are working through the company.

And consider very carefully in the future your personal and business relationships.

Comment

I take it this is a new LTD company started this tax year.
          First thing. If you pay yourself minimum wage then you WILL pay tax on those earnings. Most LTD contractors pay themselves well below minimum wage. So it might be easier than you think.
          However.... You will need an accountant to do the company books, so use them for professional advice.
          I would not recommend using SA to claim back tax in the way you describe as it's not the usual way for a LTD contractor and HMRC may well spot it as unusual and come looking for more. If it's a genuine business expense then your business partner should have no issue with it. Start the argument.
          And as other have said.... Get out of this arrangement... It will almost certainly go wrong in an acrimonious fashion.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

What items are 'items for work to make my life easier'?

You've got to be very clear what is wholly for the business and what is nice to have and you can use it at work.

Clearing that up may mean you don't need to put it all through the company and the problem gets smaller?

But as mentioned, surely your accountant that is fully versed with what appears to be a pretty complicated setup would be a better first stop.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Of greater concern is what happens when the other partner retires - are you simply going to be able to buy his share capital for a nominal fee?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'm a little confused how all of those can be 'forced' on to you. One or two of them maybe... But All?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm a little confused how all of those can be 'forced' on to you. One or two of them maybe... But All?
                  I can understand being 'forced' from sole trader as most agencies won't touch them.
                  The relationship with the partner is a really weird one unless the partner got the OP to do all the work but split the money.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I can understand being 'forced' from sole trader as most agencies won't touch them.
                    The relationship with the partner is a really weird one unless the partner got the OP to do all the work but split the money.
                    I'm actually for a similar arrangement to that for myself.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X