• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Agency Asking for Bank Statements for Gaps of 3 Months or More Unreasonable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Secondly, I have more than one personal bank account i.e. another one for bills/standing orders. Does it matter which bank statements I provide or from which account, depending on exactly what they are looking for, which I am not sure what that is?
    Use the day to day spending one as it will have more transactions in it plus will show you have been in the UK as some of the transactions will have place names on them.

It is also normal for people not to have bills going out of their own account for completely valid reasons e.g. they have a joint account with a partner.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
      Have you actuality provided.'personal' statements of the account that you use on a day-to-day basis? It is incredibly intrusive for someone to be analysing my daily spending activities. If it's usual than I would guess I should do it but what sort of conclusions/presumptions would the client make and how is the information used? That is why my thoughts are to provide statements for an account I just use for my monthly standing orders and direct debits. It just seems odd as I wonder whether there is this much scrutiny made of applicants applying for permanent roles within a same financial organisation.
      You can be anywhere in the world to have the monthly direct debits and standing orders going out.

However your Tesco and Waitrose shopping transactions shows that you were actually in the UK.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You are kidding right? It's not the business that sits in front of the computer and is a risk to the client.

Next you'll be saying SC should be done on the business only.

:
        Never been asked for personal statements either, and if I was I wouldn't supply. No business of the agency how much activity is in my personal account. When I took a gap year a few years back I provided personal references to prove where I was, which is fair enough.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Never been asked for personal statements either, and if I was I wouldn't supply. No business of the agency how much activity is in my personal account. When I took a gap year a few years back I provided personal references to prove where I was, which is fair enough.
          Your choice but if that is their policy then you've only got one option left. It's not the agency that are looking at it by the way.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Some will accept accountancy, or similar, references instead of bank statements, it is unusual they will only accept only the one thing.

As NLUK says it is then up to you whether you want the contract or not.

In addition, I have seen people walked from site on a number of occasions, if the right paperwork was not subsequently produced, or if they have been found to be lying during the checks.
            One thing I would say if you are going to have any untruths on your CV make sure they check out and are completely water tight.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Surely not personal statements ? Business activities maybe but have never been requested for personal statements.
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You are kidding right? It's not the business that sits in front of the computer and is a risk to the client.

Next you'll be saying SC should be done on the business only.

:
              Er nope. Why do you ask in such a tone ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Some will accept accountancy, or similar, references instead of bank statements, it is unusual they will only accept only the one thing.

As NLUK says it is then up to you whether you want the contract or not.

In addition, I have seen people walked from site on a number of occasions, if the right paperwork was not subsequently produced, or if they have been found to be lying during the checks.
                One thing I would say if you are going to have any untruths on your CV make sure they check out and are completely water tight.
                I've worked quite a bit in insurance, banking and financial services and they have taken a ref from my accountant and carried out a credit check. For an investment company I also had to disclose all share holdings. I've never been asked for personal bank statements. I never lie on my CV either .... my CV really is that good
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Don't panic - totally normal

Lot's of contractors leave out bad contracts from there CV. If you rock up to a client site and rapidly realise that it isn't the contract for you (for professional or business reasons) then immediately serving notice and excluding it from your CV is commonplace.

By looking at your bank statements they are checking to see if you have been paid by an agency for a period that you have claimed to be out of work on your CV.

They will then be looking for a reasonable explanation. It is easy to explain away these things .

Comment

Originally posted by GambitUK View Post
                    Lot's of contractors leave out bad contracts from there CV. If you rock up to a client site and rapidly realise that it isn't the contract for you (for professional or business reasons) then immediately serving notice and excluding it from your CV is commonplace.

By looking at your bank statements they are checking to see if you have been paid by an agency for a period that you have claimed to be out of work on your CV.

They will then be looking for a reasonable explanation. It is easy to explain away these things .
                    Would they really want to play forensic detective in this way - I am not so sure ?

Comment

Originally posted by GambitUK View Post

rubbish, Agencies usually pay to your business account and if there are payments on your private account they can still be for your partner if it's a shared account

Comment

Working...
                      X