• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    FRS can't make a £7200 difference. That implies your turnover is £300,000 and the limit for FRS is £230,000 (including VAT) so £192,000 excluding VAT.
    Ok maybe I calculated it wrong...

VAT on invoices = 27,500k
    VAT to HMRC = 19,250
    Gross VAT saving = £8250
    Minus 20% Corp Tax payable (additional profit) = 6,600

Is that incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
      Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?
      The FRS rateshould be at 14.5% assuming you are a consultant of some form and its 14.5% on your company's total income received including VAT.

VAT on invoices £27,500 so your company's total income including VAT= £165,000.

£165,000*14.5%=£23,925
      So your gross VAT saving should have been £3575
      Minus 20% Corp Tax payable (additional profit) = £2860

Do you have an accountant as someone some where seems to have messed things up...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
        Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?
        Yep. The VAT to HMRC should be £23100. It's 14% of gross not net - assuming 14% is you flat rate.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you're making decisions on faulty data. You shouldn't.

Comment

FRS Loss Calculator

I have just been doing some What Ifs on Intouch's FRS Loss calculator and it seems I might lose so much money from switching to 16.5% that I may well find several thousand pounds worth of essential purchases I need to make next year.

With these numbers anything I buy will be free!

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireman View Post
            I have just been doing some What Ifs on Intouch's FRS Loss calculator and it seems I might lose so much money from switching to 16.5% that I may well find several thousand pounds worth of essential purchases I need to make next year.

With these numbers anything I buy will be free!
            I can't help thinking that there'll be a regulation to prevent this kind of thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not one person has got it right yet.
              I beg to differ.

Comment

VAT to HMRC = 19,250
                Gross VAT saving = £8250

Is that incorrect?
                You don't say what your FRS percentage is but you need to apply it to the gross turnover including VAT.

If you're comparing with the standard VAT scheme you also need to account for any input VAT you've paid to work out your actual saving. Whatever's left from your flat-rate surplus after deducting input VAT and allowing for CT is your net profit from the scheme.

I feel like I've said this a million times in the last few days!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Do you have an accountant as someone some where seems to have messed things up...
                  Or some bigger sheets of paper? Using crayons smudges the numbers when writing small.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    I beg to differ.
                    Must have missed it in all the noise
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll be leaving the FRS, it's been a good number but due to some idiots exploiting it HMRC have effectively closed it down. My accountant will do the extra work anyway and in any case I don't claim much in the way of expenses.

Don't forget VAT isn't supposed to a way of making a profit, so be thankful for a good few years and accept that we are going back to the way it used to be.
                      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                      X