• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Just watched the Autumn Statement and Hammond suggested there would be changes coming (ie. closure) of the flat rate VAT scheme to increase tax revenues.

Which basically means less profit and a lot more admin for most contractors.

Not abolished but rising to 16.5%

Also further restrictions to come on what was termed disguised renumeration

Public sector changes to go ahead.

Comment

16.5% of gross is approx 20% of net. So yes effectively flat rate vat has been abolished.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        16.5% of gross is approx 20% of net. So yes effectively flat rate vat has been abolished.
        Not quite, making a 2% profit from the flat rate scheme has been abolished.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Difference on 20% of £833.33 and 16.5% of £999.99 is £1.66.

833.33×1.2 = 999.99

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Difference on 20% of £833.33 and 16.5% of £999.99 is £1.66.

833.33×1.2 = 999.99
            well I never. Been doing FRS for years now and never realised how little I was making.
            I hadn't twigged it's paid on gross revenue.
            So in effect there's 0.2% profit to be made from April. Which is more than offset by a single iPhone.
            I'll be quitting FRS it seems.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes, effectively the flat rate scheme has been abolished, in the sense that it would make no sense to continue to use it. You'd save more going on the normal VAT regime, you can then reclaim VAT on expenses.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I've been on standard VAT since I started and, to be honest, I never really felt the need to move. It's great getting hotels at the VAT free price etc.

Comment

Of greater worry is the proposed review of different ways of remuneration. The OBR has highlighted "the growing cost to the Exchequer of incorporation", this probably means us. We will have to wait for the consultation document to see what they are up to.
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

There are a couple of moves to align income tax and NIC so I expect the move is towards a full merger, another thing for us to keep our eye on with the impact on the taxation of dividends.

Comment

Working...
                    X