• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car through Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Free, certainly here in Denmark. Tesla provide the charging stations as part of the deal, along with 4G internet in-car and free Spotify account!

Sold!
    they did announce that they are going to discontinue the free Tesla charging stations and make them charge for a charge (see what I did there?).

Tesla Will End Free Supercharging for Life
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Free, certainly here in Denmark. Tesla provide the charging stations as part of the deal, along with 4G internet in-car and free Spotify account!

Sold!
      ok I think a Tesla is certainly on the roadmap

might have to take a tree branch to the mondeo to speed up the process

Comment

I have a hybrid ultra-low emissions (<50g/km) car owned by the company. The advantages are that it can be written off entirely as an expense immediately upon purchase so the company doesn't pay corporation tax on the cost of the car (you can’t normally reclaim the VAT). I then personally pay a BIK rate of 7% which increases to 16% over the next 3 years (i.e. 7% of the purchase cost of the car incl. VAT, treated as taxable income each year). However the cost of this BIK is less than I was paying in Diesel and I am now mostly on electric (somewhere in the region of 5p/mile). The biggest advantage to me was not the fuel savings but would that it utilised money that would otherwise sit there earning 1% or attract 32.5% dividend tax. So (debatably) I saved 50% on the cost of the car – it all depends on what you might otherwise do with the money (e.g. close company, claim relief and pay only 10% capital gains or take as higher rate). You’ll need to act quickly to avoid the hefty new charges coming in next April. Tesla S awesome, got very close to buying, X not practical enough for a family. Looking forward to the 3.
        Last edited by Lewis; 2 December 2016, 14:16.

Comment

Sold!
          Even at home?

Comment

Are you guys saying I could buy a 2nd hand £60k Tesla and have the company pay for it entirely...?

Or a brand new one even.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 2 December 2016, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Are you guys saying I could buy a 2nd hand £60k Tesla and have the company pay for it entirely...?
              I'm not sure on this but I think you have to purchase the car new.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                I'm not sure on this but I think you have to purchase the car new.
                Thats's right. Used cars get a writing down allowance of 18%, against profits. So, a £50k car will give £9k allowances, giving £1800 tax saving.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                  Thats's right. Used cars get a writing down allowance of 18%, against profits. So, a £50k car will give £9k allowances, giving £1800 tax saving.
                  Hi Alan thanks for your input here!

So if I bought a new Tesla S 75D , list price £70,000, how would/should I pay & account for this and what would it cost me personally?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Hi Alan thanks for your input here!

So if I bought a new Tesla S 75D , list price £70,000, how would/should I pay & account for this and what would it cost me personally?
                    Wait for the Tesla Model 3, starts at around £20k, slightly smaller than the S, hopefully not as low, the S is lower than you think, and the steering column and front motor limit the room to move to get out, I found it quite difficult! I'm 55 mind....

The Model X is the same floorplan, but more of an SUV and not so backbreakingly low.

Model 3

Comment

Nah, car is too low, nearly ruptured myself getting out of it. If I stay here and move out into the suburbs might go for it, but as I live the city there's no point.

Just fancied a burn in one...
                      Hope Santa is bringing you one of these for being a good boy then...

https://www.ageukmobilityaids.co.uk/...r-transfer-aid
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X