• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car through Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sim2kuk View Post
    I understand that, but isn't it more expensive to do that, with no asset at the end of it? 3 year, 15k mile lease is coming in at £894 p/m, with a £5.5k deposit. At least with owning the car you will get a decent sum back at the end of it.
    Yes, it is. Although early EVs suffered big depreciation, the last couple of years has seen EV either hold their price very well and in some instances, even appreciate.

Also bear in mind that while some people still think EV batteries need replacing every 2 or 3 years (yes, there are still some people who think because their iphone batteries give up after 3 years, EV batteries do the same), there are numerous instances particularly in the US of Teslas with 200,000 miles on them retaining over 90% of the original battery capacity.

Even humble 4 and 5 year old Nissan Leafs with 60,000+ miles on them are recorded as having not less than 92% original battery capacity.

What needs to be standardised on EVs is the charging plug between chademo, CCS, Type 2 etc and AC or DC charging.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by 94bb View Post
      Save a lot of cash and just do a contract lease. Electric cars are in its infancy, battery tech is evolving at lightning pace (pardon the pun) so mitigate your asset from being devalued by simply purely leasing the car. I’ve done the same with the new iPace
      not sure you'll actually save at all with that method.
      I know it may seem remarkable, but the finance companies behind leases have factored depreciation into their business models.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

just giving this a refresh ...

so the elec car BIK is minimal/zero so that is a good incentive then

but my only worry is if uou lease a car on your ltd company .... but then due to ir35 you decided to go permie and close the business

is there hassle with the lease to go to you personally instead ?

Comment

Yes, you'll have a business lease not a personal one. You'll have to ring around to see what providers will allow you to transfer leases.
          Are sure you'll want to go perm. Is taking an inside IR35 role and keeping the business open not an option.
          I'm highly suspicious of the super low rates. Its an incentive now but I'd say its a perfect target for tax grabs in coming years.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 22 July 2019, 16:27.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
            just giving this a refresh ...

so the elec car BIK is minimal/zero so that is a good incentive then

but my only worry is if uou lease a car on your ltd company .... but then due to ir35 you decided to go permie and close the business

is there hassle with the lease to go to you personally instead ?

Depending on how you leased it and under what deal, but you'd have to pay the VAT, and they'd probably want a new contract given that consumer rights, etc would come into play as it was no longer b2b but b2c.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              . Its an incentive now but I'd say its a perfect target for tax grabs in coming years.
              Yup...

Especially when they realise that not only has the tax take of fossils plummeted but that there is insufficient generating capacity to replace fossils...
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes, you'll have a business lease not a personal one. You'll have to ring around to see what providers will allow you to transfer leases.
                Are sure you'll want to go perm. Is taking an inside IR35 role and keeping the business open not an option.
                I'm highly suspicious of the super low rates. Its an incentive now but I'd say its a perfect target for tax grabs in coming years.

yeah not sure about going permie if I am honest and will definitely look to keep going - am 51 so its a bit late to go permie (despite with Brillopad keeps telling me !)

when you say

'I'm highly suspicious of the super low rates. Its an incentive now but I'd say its a perfect target for tax grabs in coming years'

you saying you are worried about the BIK getting jacked up a few years down the line and by then we are locked in ?
                Last edited by CanPayButWouldRatherNot; 23 July 2019, 08:35.

Comment

Yup. A nice low, but unsustainable incentive. When electric becomes more the norm they will have to Jack the rates back up to what the norm is now.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 23 July 2019, 08:44.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup.
                    hopefully they will target the swanky ipace owners first (like you and my bro in law) with some "mansion tax" first :-)

yours jealously

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                      hopefully they will target the swanky ipace owners first (like you and my bro in law) with some "mansion tax" first :-)

yours jealously
                      being envious of other peoples' success, makes you sound like the worst kind of permie.
                      or a Korbynista. Or both.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X