• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car through Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm weighing up a leccy car - similar tax breaks in Ireland make it v. attractive as a proprietary director. Ireland being a much smaller country and me living fairly central, the longest journey I would ever make is 300 km one way, and I would almost never do a round trip in a day of that distance, and if I did, I'd take the train. So range anxiety isn't really a thing for me. I have a driveway so for the 100 km round trip to the client office (if we ever go back), you just charge overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I'm weighing up a leccy car - similar tax breaks in Ireland make it v. attractive as a proprietary director. Ireland being a much smaller country and me living fairly central, the longest journey I would ever make is 300 km one way, and I would almost never do a round trip in a day of that distance, and if I did, I'd take the train. So range anxiety isn't really a thing for me. I have a driveway so for the 100 km round trip to the client office (if we ever go back), you just charge overnight.
      When I was looking at them recently the new Skoda ENYAQ looks rather nice for the money - better than a Tesla unless you need Tesla's charging points.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm toying with getting a Tonale for The Wife (tm). It's a hybrid, but it's a start.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
          '... a 300 mile charge would barely get my to London, suddenly I have to start planning charging stops which you do not need to do in a petrol/diesel car. I don't understand how that's not common sense.
          I would be planning in stops/breaks on longer drives on safety grounds.
          Are you the type of person who tests their eyesight by driving to Barnard Castle?!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I'm toying with getting a Tonale for The Wife (tm). It's a hybrid, but it's a start.
            Hybrids except for toyotas are a temporary dead-end, created to meet EU emission deadlines and targets when nothing else was available.

My concern would be that one day, like big diesels the second hand market will evaporate.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Hybrids except for toyotas are a temporary dead-end, created to meet EU emission deadlines and targets when nothing else was available.

My concern would be that one day, like big diesels the second hand market will evaporate.
              I sort of agree, but if they are designed to give the ICE a boost when needed, I think they have a place.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

When I was looking at them recently the new Skoda ENYAQ looks rather nice for the money - better than a Tesla unless you need Tesla's charging points.
                I’m considering Kia eNiro but will wait to see what the Covid slump brings in terms of PCP and HP returns.

Comment

Why do you say that Toyotas are different? Genuine question.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    Why do you say that Toyotas are different? Genuine question.
                    Toyotas have sold hybrid cars for years, so they aren't a short term niche that manufacturers will stop selling in 3-5 years time when electric is fully ready. Equally everyone else is treating hybrid as just a CO2 game necessary to continue selling cars until their model range is electric.

So in 3-5 years time most people will look at the car and go - Hybrid Toyota - that's common.
                    Hybrid Audi - didn't they sell about 120 of them before giving up on the idea.

Comment

My accountant agrees that it makes sense to purchase it through the Ltd, and is happy enough with it being bought for cash

Comment

Working...
                      X