• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car through Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Toyotas have sold hybrid cars for years, so they aren't a short term niche that manufacturers will stop selling in 3-5 years time when electric is fully ready. Equally everyone else is treating hybrid as just a CO2 game necessary to continue selling cars until their model range is electric.

So in 3-5 years time most people will look at the car and go - Hybrid Toyota - that's common.
    Hybrid Audi - didn't they sell about 120 of them before giving up on the idea.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      My accountant agrees that it makes sense to purchase it through the Ltd, and is happy enough with it being bought for cash
      If your accountant is happy then that's the main thing.

Comment

Did my first real long distance drive in my Hyundai Kona (leased through ltd) earlier this week, 600 mile round trip. Range of the car is about 280/300 depending how you drive it. Stopped at Warwick services, about half way, each journey for a coffee and a quick top up on the CCS chargers and also charged free at the hotel.

Pretty seamless really, although can see problems as they become more popular with only 1 ccs charger at a lot of services.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueManc View Post
          Did my first real long distance drive in my Hyundai Kona (leased through ltd) earlier this week, 600 mile round trip. Range of the car is about 280/300 depending how you drive it. Stopped at Warwick services, about half way, each journey for a coffee and a quick top up on the CCS chargers and also charged free at the hotel.

Pretty seamless really, although can see problems as they become more popular with only 1 ccs charger at a lot of services.
          Well done. Lots of people still dont think EVs are suitable for long range driving. But the beauty is when you are doing a long drive, you can stop and 'top up' the charge while you're having a pee or coffee etc.

The issue of chargers is pretinent though. While the network is growing, it's beholden on people, especially the PHEV mob, not to sit on a charger for hours and hours blocking other's access to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
            Well done. Lots of people still dont think EVs are suitable for long range driving. But the beauty is when you are doing a long drive, you can stop and 'top up' the charge while you're having a pee or coffee etc.

The issue of chargers is pretinent though. While the network is growing, it's beholden on people, especially the PHEV mob, not to sit on a charger for hours and hours blocking other's access to it.
            I will admit to coming from a PHEV (IONIQ), but never used chargers on services! It was a sort of half way house when my commute was less than 30 miles round trip so I could pretty much manage it on full electric.

Took the plunge earlier this year and no regrets. I live about 30 seconds walk from a free public charger at my town hall(although that will be changing to payment soon) so haven't actually spent any money on electric (other than my business trip as mentioned) all year. I just stick it on there for a few hours at a weekend at the moment, although I do have a home charger as well.

As for long distance travel, like you say, it adds maybe a minute to your time to hook up the charger. You will naturally take a break after 2 or 3 hours anyway and on a fast charger, 20 mins can add maybe 100 miles to your range. Don't see an issue personally as long as the tech continues to improve along with the infrastructure to support even faster charging rates and increases numbers of EVs.

I find EVs much more pleasant to drive as well. It's quite therapeutic driving in near silence in the cabin. Although I have forgot to turn it off a couple of times before getting out and setting off all the warnings!

Comment

I've had a Tesla Model 3 for just over a year now. I adore it. It makes me smile every time I get in it. It accelerates faster than anything else I've ever driven, and it turns heads.

It'll do 300 miles on a full charge. I have a home charger that I use to top it up nightly, and it costs maybe £3 to charge it up overnight during the cheap electricity period.

I can also use a free public charger just round the corner from my house. If I need to stop at a motorway service station on a long journey, the Tesla supercharger will fill it up in 30-40 minutes which is just about the right time for a toilet break and bite to eat.

I bought it privately, not through my company, because of government incentives north of the border (0% finance).

It's the best thing I've ever spent money on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                Good luck with that. The thing this Covid outbreak has highlighted is that, in general terms, people are selfish and will look after themselves first, even if that is to the detriment to others. Do any of the chargers have penalty charges if people keep their car plugged in beyond a certain amount of time?

And does anyone have any stats on whether the expansion of the charging network is keeping up with the sale of EVs?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Good luck with that. The thing this Covid outbreak has highlighted is that, in general terms, people are selfish and will look after themselves first, even if that is to the detriment to others. Do any of the chargers have penalty charges if people keep their car plugged in beyond a certain amount of time?

And does anyone have any stats on whether the expansion of the charging network is keeping up with the sale of EVs?
                  I think the Covid outbreak has demonstrated that, in general terms, people are selfless and will look after broader societal interests, even if that is to the detriment of their own interests. The minority who are selfish are just very visible and noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

No and this is why sitting on a charger by certain types is frowned upon. It is generally the etiquette EV newbies either dont know or PHEV owners dont care about. For example, there's no point plugging into a super fast charger if your car cannot accept the super fast charge rate. It'll just charge at the car's max charge rate which might be a quarter of the chargers.

Some chargers you can disconnect but again, it's etiquette to not really do this but some do.

Depending on the type of charge selected ie super fast, fast or normal, the chargers tend to work on the principle of charge the battery to capacity or to 80% of capacity in the case of super fast charge. Non Tesla owners cannot use Tesla charge points but the Tesla owners can use non Tesla chargers if caught short.

Am not sure this stat is kept by anyone. That said, Petrol stations and supermarkets are making increased planning applications to install new chargers on an ever increasing basis.
                    Last edited by TheDogsNads; 25 September 2020, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I think the Covid outbreak has demonstrated that, in general terms, people are selfless and will look after broader societal interests, even if that is to the detriment of their own interests. The minority who are selfish are just very visible and noisy.
                      If this was the case, supermarkets would not need to impose restrictions on the purchase of bog roll.

Comment

Working...
                      X