• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car through Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all

Have asked my accountant and am awaiting a response on this but am looking for real life examples if there are any here.

Am thinking of a small electric car to run my company errands. Something like the Nissan Leaf on which there are some good (dealer) deals at the moment. As it's zero emissions I'm wondering about the possibility of running this through the business.

Any thoughts on this? (proper forum so keep it relevant please )

All down to the numbers when it comes to company cars. I looked at a 1.3 Yaris and even that was borderline as to the savings. An electric one such as the ones you are looking at should be more cost effective. If they aren't going to be more advantageous through the company nothing will.

I'd be interested to see the numbers if you are willing to share. We've tons of chat about this but no examples to date.

Just make sure you've all possibilities covered. If you change gigs to one a fair distance away the cost of the lease (if that's the way you are going) can go up quickly and if you get it wrong the cost of the excess mileage may start eating in to your advantage.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Electric cars work through your co as there's low bik and you can claim capital allowances. But remember not to let the tax tail wag the dog. You'll maybe save tax but you might pay extra in real terms. And folk might assume you're a guardian reading vegan. [emoji3]

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'd be interested to see the numbers if you are willing to share. We've tons of chat about this but no examples.
        I've done a few comparisons. I'll look them out and post them up over the weekend if I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          Electric cars work through your co as there's no (or next to no) bik. But remember not to let the tax tail wag the dog. You'll maybe save tax but you might pay extra in real terms. And folk might assume you're a guardian reading vegan. [emoji3]
          Not if he pays for it with new fivers.

Comment

Test drove a Tesla Model S yesterday, scared the shiit out of me.

0-100 in 3 secs and zero fuel costs.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

and have you ordered one?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                and have you ordered one?
                Nah, car is too low, nearly ruptured myself getting out of it. If I stay here and move out into the suburbs might go for it, but as I live the city there's no point.

Just fancied a burn in one...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

but how much does the electricity cost to charge it up?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                    but how much does the electricity cost to charge it up?
                    Free, certainly here in Denmark. Tesla provide the charging stations as part of the deal, along with 4G internet in-car and free Spotify account!

Sold!

Comment

Working...
                    X