• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC can now view your internet history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's a good job nobody can fake an email address then
    Just as easy as making sure you have to click a link in the email too which IIRC is what BT require
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not a problem ... just use the TOR browser instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Starbucks use BT, so I would assume they will already have it covered.

I would imagine the days of free wifi will continue, but you will have to provide an email address or the like to confirm before be allowed to access any content
        and they will quietly collect enough info about the device you use to link it to the activity recorded. OS / Browser / MAC etc.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That's the easy part. Big providers already know who had which IP and when. That is already evidence that can be used.
          Not quite, as evident by all the copyright infringement scams debacle. AFAIK ISPs can't reliably prove that your account/household used a particular IP at a specific time.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Not quite, as evident by all the copyright infringement scams debacle. AFAIK ISPs can't reliably prove that your account/household used a particular IP at a specific time.
            Not if you reboot your router several times a day. Make sure you get a new IP address each time, obviously. The only people sharp enough to do that are IT contractors and terrorists, precisely the folk these laws are designed to catch. Which makes it just about the most pointless law ever. Soon it will become a criminal offence to turn your router off (or suffer a power cut) in which case my parents will be off to chokey, they always turn theirs off when they are not using it, indeed they turn everything off when they're not using it, which probably saves them a few quid a year in electricity. Anyway, it's virtually unworkable. They'll be running around tracing billions of records, and eventually they'll all give up. The smaller ISPs will go bust (they won't be able to maintain the records) and the bigger ISPs will tell the govt to get stuffed.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Not if you reboot your router several times a day. Make sure you get a new IP address each time, obviously. The only people sharp enough to do that are IT contractors and terrorists, precisely the folk these laws are designed to catch. Which makes it just about the most pointless law ever. Soon it will become a criminal offence to turn your router off (or suffer a power cut) in which case my parents will be off to chokey, they always turn theirs off when they are not using it, indeed they turn everything off when they're not using it, which probably saves them a few quid a year in electricity. Anyway, it's virtually unworkable. They'll be running around tracing billions of records, and eventually they'll all give up. The smaller ISPs will go bust (they won't be able to maintain the records) and the bigger ISPs will tell the govt to get stuffed.
              I only learnt to do that because some US based forum blocked me about 15 years ago.

I had to explain to them that IP addresses in the UK weren't fixed and all people did was reboot their routers one or more times to get assigned a new one.

Oh and 15 year old boys who like to hack from their bedroom also know this trick even if they prefer to use next door's WiFi.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

IP Address

Learning lots on here - never knew about the switching on / off of the router could change your IP address......

When I lived in the USA, I used a software that changed my IP address to a UK address so I could gamble (UK Gambling sites block you) - I am guessing that was just as mask?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Presumably part of this is to make ISPs log that too otherwise it would be extra dumb. I have a static IP so I'm screwed.

You can't control whether switching off your router will give you a different IP, and you also can't control whether the ISP is properly logging who is using which IP. Even with a VPN you can't control whether the VPN provider is logging who is using which virtual-IP; they might say that they don't but how can you know?

Anonymity on the internet is a myth and always has been.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

That's the easy part. Big providers already know who had which IP and when. That is already evidence that can be used.
                    That's not my point.
                    My point is that these big companies can't even hold basic details without corrupting them somehow.
                    My wife's firstname has been mangled with EE.
                    My name now also has my firstname first letter twice at the beginning of my name.
                    What's to stop them incorrectly assigning me as the previous owner of an IP address by mistake. Lack of basic controls and change management somewhere.
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
                      That's not my point.
                      My point is that these big companies can't even hold basic details without corrupting them somehow.
                      My wife's firstname has been mangled with EE.
                      My name now also has my firstname first letter twice at the beginning of my name.
                      What's to stop them incorrectly assigning me as the previous owner of an IP address by mistake. Lack of basic controls and change management somewhere.
                      Good point well made. The answer, theoretically, is that if required by law then they will need to get their tulip together.
                      Last edited by Contreras; 6 December 2016, 23:55.

Comment

Working...
                      X