• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Illegal dividends or not !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal dividends or not !

I`ve a question on these Dividends and need to know more if what i am about to say will be illegal dividends or not.

I am an IT contractor and my company gets paid every month. Say my company bank account has £20,000 as its balance as of today. Is it correct for me to declare £19,000 as dividends today and transfer it today, in the hope that the Dec month payment to my company will refill the balance !

My situation is just for a month or 2 but in the long run is not expected to be disturbed, so can someone please help me with this ?

What I read is that illegal dividends "When Corporation Tax is then calculated at the year end the available profits reduce, and the dividend that was paid suddenly creates a loss. This is known as an illegal dividend, or Ultra Vires, as dividends should only be paid from profits."

http://www.companybug.com/guide-to-i...to-avoid-them/
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:59.

Short answer: no

Long answer: you need to knock up some accounts and check your reserves/p&l account, knock off 20% as a CT estimate. That's what's available to you as divis

Comment

Originally posted by retyfraser View Post
      I`ve a question on these Dividends and need to know more if what i am about to say will be illegal dividends or not.

I am an IT contractor and my company gets paid every month. Say my company bank account has £20,000 as its balance as of today. Is it correct for me to declare £19,000 as dividends today and transfer it today, in the hope that the Dec month payment to my company will refill the balance !

My situation is just for a month or 2 but in the long run is not expected to be disturbed, so can someone please help me with this ?

What I read is that illegal dividends "When Corporation Tax is then calculated at the year end the available profits reduce, and the dividend that was paid suddenly creates a loss. This is known as an illegal dividend, or Ultra Vires, as dividends should only be paid from profits."
      Why not ask your accountant about how director loans work if it's short term?
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:55.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Why not ask your accountant about how director loans work if it's short term?
        to being with director`s loan is complicated and apparently you are not allowed to fund a house deposit with a company director`s loan it seems.
        In the long run I will not be allowing my company to fall short of funds, so just wanted to know if in the short run ( not more than 2 months for my company account to replenish itself !) if that is feasible or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Short answer: no

Long answer: you need to knock up some accounts and check your reserves/p&l account, knock off 20% as a CT estimate. That's what's available to you as divis
          This.

And....IMO you shouldn't be running the company funds down so low in any case.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            This.

And....IMO you shouldn't be running the company funds down so low in any case.
            Yeah, I know. I never would under normal circumstances. Its just this case I have to and its a month I have to put up with low balance !

Comment

Yeah, I know. I never would under normal circumstances. Its just this case I have to and its a month I have to put up with low balance !
              If your contract ends tomorrow - and it can - how are you going to fulfil the company's legal liabilities?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well, as you have described them, they would be illegal dividends in any case.
                They fit the exact description.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you have an invoice outstanding you expect to be paid this will be an asset and therefore the dividend could potentially be legal. But take care and as said above you need to draw up a balance sheet first.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    If you have an invoice outstanding you expect to be paid this will be an asset and therefore the dividend could potentially be legal. But take care and as said above you need to draw up a balance sheet first.
                    That's interesting to note Alan and something I didn't actually know.

Thanks!
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X