• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT FRS new rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's not defined anywhere that I've seen.
    Agreed, I spent some time looking for it this morning. VAT accounting period is the assumption, but that may not be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      This

Proper business can deal with it. It's only you lot that can't cause you seem to think the government was giving you some sort of FRS 'bonus'.
      +1.

How often have we read moans about being "out of pocket" because the client will only reimburse net + VAT ?

That said, it is quite obviously a punitive tax grab targeted specifically at "us".

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        +1.

How often have we read moans about being "out of pocket" because the client will only reimburse net + VAT ?

That said, it is quite obviously a punitive tax grab targeted specifically at "us".
        Who is this 'us' you speak of Batman ?? I'm not one of 'you lot' any more, but I do enjoy watching the average permatractor try to find ways round the tax grabs that come your way courtesy of "the party of small bizniz, innit"
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          +1.

Trust me we aren't the culprits here. They are a certain type of company designed to employ a couple of staff and make the most of the employer ni allowance with a vat reclaim add on.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Trust me we aren't the culprits here. They are a certain type of company designed to employ a couple of staff and make the most of the employer ni allowance with a vat reclaim add on.
            Correct.

HMRC likes FRS as it encourages people under the threshold to register. It also is easier to investigate as a simple check against bank statements confirms most of the return.
            The issue was an agency (or multiple) setting up LTDs for their 'umbrella staff' and using FRS to make a few more beans. One instance had over 200 LTDs with 2 'employees' in each.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              This. Possibly also related the recent case HMRC lost on certain sectors using the 12% rate.

Comment

I agree with the sentiment that FRS was too often viewed purely as 'free profit' ignoring its intended purpose. However the cynic in me thinks this is more than just unintended collateral damage.

What's the rationale in disallowing specific expenses, other than targeting contractors as a whole?

Could the issue not have been dealt with under existing VAT legislation (for close companies)?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  You're making the common mistake as looking at the bit that HMRC lets you keep on the FRS as a "reward". It was never intended to be that, it was always supposed to provide an indirect way of recovering of any VAT you've incurred on your expenses. It just so happened that if this surplus amount exceeded the amount of VAT you pay during the year you'd make a bit of profit.

The "surplus" amount that the new percentage gives you is simply not enough for most of us to recover the VAT on our costs so we're effectively having to charge VAT to clients whilst not being able to recover the VAT we pay. Its only £200 on £100k turnover which only allows for £1k in VATable expenses before you start losing out.

Examples with £100k net turnover and £10k in net VATable expenses:

Registered on standard scheme:
                  VAT charged: £20k
                  VAT paid: £2k
                  VAT paid to HMRC: £18k
                  Gross profit: £90k

Registered on FRS under new percentage:
                  VAT charged: £20k
                  VAT paid: £2k (not reclaimable)
                  VAT paid to HMRC: (16.5% * £120k) = £19.8k
                  Gross profit: £88.2k

Being on the FRS has made you £1800 worse off, because the amount of VAT you've paid exceeds the amount of VAT recoverable on the FRS.

On the standard scheme you will always recover the VAT you've paid, no more, no less.
                  and if you have (for example) a £150K warchest, getting 1% interest, £1500, you have to pay 16.5% of that to HMRC under the FRS scheme, so another £247.50 to pay.

You would be paying them to be on the FRS scheme, and not recovering anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                    and if you have (for example) a £150K warchest, getting 1% interest, £1500, you have to pay 16.5% of that to HMRC under the FRS scheme, so another £247.50 to pay.

You would be paying them to be on the FRS scheme, and not recovering anything.
                    Nope. There was a ruling a few years back excluding bank interest from flat rate VAT calculations. You pay corporation tax on it though.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X