• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro Bank Account (Cater Allen absolutely shocking)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Oh Faqqie, who's suffering from self delusion? If she only loves you when you keep giving her yellow diamonds. it's not real. It won't last.

But that Barclaycard debt will
    But he's still right.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Oh Faqqie, who's suffering from self delusion? If she only loves you when you keep giving her yellow diamonds. it's not real. It won't last.

But that Barclaycard debt will

If you believe that you must have "run up bills they cannot pay" to have a 0% interest rate credit card, then you're wrong. Unfortunately for your argument, the mere matter of fact would get in the way.

Barclaycard is actually a good deal at the moment - 0% on spending for the next 25 months. So if you manage it properly, then it's a no brainer to have 0% credit. Until the banks are paying negative interest, that is.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So, I've confirmed with currencyfair that I can receive euro payments directly from the agent (they make a payment into their bank account). So this pain might be a blessing in disguise because I'll save so much money in transaction fees as they can deposit straight into sterling at the actual exchange rate or hold the money. Plus I'll get £30 eur free and free transaction when I signed up. If only I found this sooner.

TransferWise couldn't receive a payment without the agency signing up, if you read my other posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket View Post
          So, I've confirmed with currencyfair that I can receive euro payments directly from the agent (they make a payment into their bank account). So this pain might be a blessing in disguise because I'll save so much money in transaction fees as they can deposit straight into sterling at the actual exchange rate or hold the money. Plus I'll get £30 eur free and free transaction when I signed up. If only I found this sooner.

TransferWise couldn't receive a payment without the agency signing up, if you read my other posts.
          TBH, I'd be wary of any company that's willing to process third-party payments. You won't find large institutions doing this, because there's no way they can be sure they're meeting their regulatory/legal obligations w/r to money-laundering etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            TBH, I'd be wary of any company that's willing to process third-party payments. You won't find large institutions doing this, because there's no way they can be sure they're meeting their regulatory/legal obligations w/r to money-laundering etc.
            They must be because they have asked to see quite a few company documents, proof of address and they did say they will need the invoice and agency contract on large amounts to check for laundering.

Anyway, I'll give it a few months and see!

Comment

They must be because they have asked to see quite a few company documents, proof of address and they did say they will need the invoice and agency contract on large amounts to check for laundering.

Anyway, I'll give it a few months and see!
              Still sounds dodgy to me. I've used various FX companies over the years (business and personal), and I've never encountered one that's willing to accept third-party payments. Your experience with TransferWise is not unusual. I'm not familiar with currencyfair (and I can't be fecked to explore the link ), but I'd guess they're located outside the UK (?) Anyway, be careful if you have large amounts at stake and bear in mind that there's no need for third-party payments. There are many providers other than CA that offer foreign-currency business accounts, which you can use to hold the payments from the client/agent and then transfer via your own account with an FX broker. That's what I do.

Comment

I have a Cater EUR/UK accounts as well.
                For last 6 months I've had my customer pay directly into Currencyfair EUR account.

The good thing is the reference number that's used to work out the onward account is static. I always fill in the web form listing the expected payment, which is a chore. I wonder what would happen if I didn't, but considering the size of payment it seems sensible to do things properly.
                Currencyfair is huge! When I last looked they had offices all over the place including I believe Redhill.

I would prefer a pukka EUR account with IBAN. To have an HSBC EUR account you also need an HSBC UK account. I do very few transactions so the arrangement with Cater works for me - and I do agree with many of the quirks mentioned in this thread. Though I've had 0 issues.

Comment

RBS are garbage for currency accounts. If you want online banking you need to upgrade to their pricey bankline lite package. Otherwise you need to phone to check your currency balance. And imagine.. you need to send a fax when you want to make a SEPA transfer
                  ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by jmann View Post
                    I would recommend HSBC. I do have a USD account with them and service has been great.
                    jmann, yes HSBC is a great bank and they do offer great service!

But what about conversion rates/fees between your currency accounts?
                    Do they use a fair conversion like Revolut's "Spot Interbank exchange rate"?
                    Last edited by coolkat; 30 August 2017, 10:31.

Comment

I need to get away from Cater Allen ASAP, can you guys recommend a EURO account (approx. 10k eur month) where it's reasonable to transfer money into Sterling?
                      I've used transferwise for transfers but haven't tried their 'account' yet. Other may have.

http://transferwise.com/borderless

Comment

Working...
                      X