• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro Bank Account (Cater Allen absolutely shocking)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Bank Account (Cater Allen absolutely shocking)

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me. I switched from RBS after they sent a letter introducing fees (then a month later saying it was a mistake) to Cater Allen (after I read lots of reviews saying they were good).

Did an account switch, however they don't do any computerized transfer of direct debits or guarantee (they just sent out letters to each DD company and hope for the best).

I had 10 direct debits of which only 1 got switched, the rest just ignored the letters from Cater Allen. Cater Allen instructed they close the RBS account. So all the companies just cancelled the DDs because they didn't receive an automated switching instruction.

I now have a total mess of late payments on 9 Direct Debits, and Cater Allen have basically said they have followed process and that is the end of the matter. I'm now going through the Ombudsman for this as Cater Allen are offering nothing at all when I've spent days on the phone trying to sort this out.

For the failed direct debits I'm having to set them up from scratch by contacting each company. Because it's a company account I need to fill out mandate forms as the details can't be taken over the phone like for personal bank accounts.

I made a same day £25 payment to one of the credit card companies (because of the DD payment switch failure they removed 0% interest promotion and whacked me onto 32% odd) however the credit card company said they didn't receive payment. Today I find out from Cater Allen a week later that the payment bounced - however it took 4 phone calls to find this out!

I've switched accounts lots of times with no problems, this is the most disgusting service I've received with no one to help or advise properly at the bank - and this has cost me £500 in interest and DD bounce fees from all the companies and pension / life insurance policies are lapsing due to needing payment within 30 days.

I need to get away from Cater Allen ASAP, can you guys recommend a EURO account (approx. 10k eur month) where it's reasonable to transfer money into Sterling?

I wish I could move back to RBS, however because the account is closed (as part of the switch) it cannot be reinstated.

Even if I move accounts, I won't be able to do an automated DD switch because Cater Allens process is all in letters outside of the DD switch scheme!

Hope you can help.

Thank you
    Last edited by Crocket; 21 December 2016, 09:40.

TL;DR Can you provide us a summary please?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      TL;DR Can you provide us a summary please?
      I need to get away from Cater Allen ASAP, can you guys recommend a EURO account (approx. 10k eur month) where it's reasonable to transfer money into Sterling?

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket View Post
        Ah.. Funnily enough Cater seem to be mentioned in most threads about this. I thought they had a problem with not being able to get an IBAN number or something as well.. Anyway..

Old thread that might be some insight.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...s-account.html

Might be something in this that's useful?
        https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eu...ive&gws_rd=ssl

Well just until someone else that knows what they are talking about comes along.

Or maybe this.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pa...ive&gws_rd=ssl
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you looked at any of the challenger banks? Metro and Cashplus are getting good press at the moment.

Comment

I would recommend HSBC. I do have a USD account with them and service has been great.

Comment

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me. I switched from RBS after they sent a letter introducing fees (then a month later saying it was a mistake) to Cater Allen (after I read lots of reviews saying they were good).

RBS maybe? Presumably no fees, just open a new account, you're doing that anyway.

Comment

I'm with Cater Allen and for what I need it for it's "ok" given that it's free, but it definitely has the feel of being about 20 years behind its time (lots of thick headed paper correspondence, poor online banking relative to other banks, slow payments, no smartphone app). Not surprised they messed up an automatic switch

Sounds like you've had a nightmare, not enough to put me off using them, but maybe enough for me to not recommend them to anyone looking to switch!

Comment

Victor Meldrew Eat Your Heart Out

Am I just a cynical old bvgger or are there really lots of things between the lines in this post?

Forget all the account switching for pennies, lack of monitoring of important payments in a period of clear risk etc. Why is a company credit card in so much debt that it's got into 0% deals? How does that happen?

I know it's just circumstantial but I suspect Crockie is managing his affairs in an entirely cavalier fashion and poor Cater Allen are getting the blame for everything...

(I diarise a check on my credit card payment every month and I've been with the same bank for 50 years )
                  Last edited by Cirrus; 21 December 2016, 10:31.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

I wish I could move back to RBS, however because the account is closed (as part of the switch) it cannot be reinstated.

Even if I move accounts, I won't be able to do an automated DD switch because Cater Allens process is all in letters outside of the DD switch scheme!
                    If you were happy with RBS then open a new account with them - whatever you do, you're going to have to migrate your direct debits over manually and do things like that, so why not go back to where you know you were happy before?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X