• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company smartphone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your company is called boobs cause it certainly isn't shelloil?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would claim expenses from your company for the cost of the phone, including the eBay receipt as proof or purchase.

Then I'd get a contract in YourCo's name for the monthly (Sim Only) amount.

Comment

thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.

We do the opposite, handsets bought by the business and SIM-only contracts in our own names, then charge the contract cost and accept it's taxable.

Contracts are all of £10pcm each while iPhones cost a wee bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by towerhill View Post
          thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.
          Which is fine if all the calls are for business. Otherwise paying for the contract on a personal phone is to be treated as BiK. That is, if my memory serves correctly and the rules haven't changed since way back.

Fwiw, I don't see an issue with expensing the handset to Your Co.

In future though you may want to operate separate eBay and PayPal accounts for business (albeit 'personal' accounts with your co in the address) funded by the co debit card. Similarly for Amazon, etc.

Comment

Should have told him to speak to his accountant really shouldn't I?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Which is fine if all the calls are for business. Otherwise paying for the contract on a personal phone is to be treated as BiK. That is, if my memory serves correctly and the rules haven't changed since way back.
              Only if the contract is in the employee's name. If its in the contract is in the company name I don't see why it would be a BIK. The company can provide a SIM/contract for both business and personal use, what it can't do is pay the employee's bills.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Only if the contract is in the employee's name. If its in the contract is in the company name I don't see why it would be a BIK. The company can provide a SIM/contract for both business and personal use, what it can't do is pay the employee's bills.
                You're right and I stand corrected.

Comment

FFS Buy the phone outright and bang that through the Ltd, 700 odd squid for an iphone, then get a cheapo sim only deal and just pay for it personally (Im paying 25 notes a month for 25 gig + free Spotify, bargain), sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    FFS Buy the phone outright and bang that through the Ltd, 700 odd squid for an iphone, then get a cheapo sim only deal and just pay for it personally (Im paying 25 notes a month for 25 gig + free Spotify, bargain), sorted.
                    I agree, the biggest saving to be had is buying the phone through the Ltd, saving corporation tax and once we're all off the FRS, the VAT too.

I've only ever claimed business calls, I just use and pay for a personal SIM.

Comment

Working...
                    X