• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company smartphone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company smartphone

Hello!

I just bought a phone on eBay from my personal account. I was wondering if I could expense it with my LTD and set up a sim only contract also with my LTD?

Does the invoice need to be addressed to my LTD or is it ok if the invoice is on my name?

Thanks

Time for a bit of research as phones have been done to death. Am sure there are links to the right about it and plenty on Google but type the following in google and there is your answer.

Company phone site:forums.contractoruk.com.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by towerhill View Post
      Hello!

I just bought a phone on eBay from my personal account. I was wondering if I could expense it with my LTD and set up a sim only contract also with my LTD?

Does the invoice need to be addressed to my LTD or is it ok if the invoice is on my name?

Thanks
      Yes

Make sure the contract is in your company name (as a business account)

Comment

You can get a contract in your company name but there is little point. The additional cost makes it hardly worth the effort of the tax savings.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just claim the monthly amount as an expense - keeps it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You can get a contract in your company name but there is little point. The additional cost makes it hardly worth the effort of the tax savings.
            Depends on who the network operator is. Most of them do the same tariffs whether you are a small business or individual.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

IMO to treat the phone as a company asset, it should have been made clear that the company was the one purchasing it. That doesn't mean paying for it on the company card necessarily (you could pay for it on a personal card and treat it like a loan to the company) but the invoice should, IMO, be in the company name.

The exemption is for the company providing you with a phone - I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether that extends to reimbursing you for one you purchased.

Comment

thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.

Comment

Originally posted by towerhill View Post
                  thanks for your replies all. I think I'll keep it simple by just putting the monthly contract on the company and keep my phone as a personal asset.
                  How much are we talking here. 15-20 quid a month?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    How much are we talking here. 15-20 quid a month?
                    SIM only is about that - which is why I really don't see the point for the amount of money saved...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X