• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple FSCS Protected Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple FSCS Protected Accounts

Hi Guys,

I have built up a nice pot of cash in my current business bank account (>75k).
    I'm looking to be more protected on these funds and looking for advise on an alternative bank account in which i can send some money to in order to receive the 75k protection per institute.

Currently i bank with HSBC could anyone recommend another bank / saver which isn't within the HSBC institute ?

Thanks

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have built up a nice pot of cash in my current business bank account (>75k).
    I'm looking to be more protected on these funds and looking for advise on an alternative bank account in which i can send some money to in order to receive the 75k protection per institute.

Currently i bank with HSBC could anyone recommend another bank / saver which isn't within the HSBC institute ?

Thanks
    There are lots of accounts which you can use. For example;

Aldermore
    Cambridge & Counties Bank
    Kent Reliance
    State Bank of India

If you want better interest rate, then I would recommend P2P companies like;

Ratesetter
    Zopa
    Assetzcapital

Comment

Forgot to mention that you need to avoid P2P companies if you need FSCS protected accounts.

Comment

How much of that money will you owe to HMRC? It may be worthwhile paying them early (you'll get 3% interest) and then you don't need to protect it. Might take you sufficiently below the £75k to not worry about it.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          How much of that money will you owe to HMRC? It may be worthwhile paying them early (you'll get 3% interest) and then you don't need to protect it. Might take you sufficiently below the £75k to not worry about it.
          Good thinking the amount of profit after all corp payments will still be quite alot over >75k

Comment

Just to add that it's likely to be 85k again within the next month or so.

Comment

It's been a long time since HMRC paid 3% on early tax payments - the rate is currently 0.5%

Aldermore do customisable fixed term accounts - I use one of those setting the maturity date to a week before my corporation tax deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                It's been a long time since HMRC paid 3% on early tax payments - the rate is currently 0.5%

Aldermore do customisable fixed term accounts - I use one of those setting the maturity date to a week before my corporation tax deadline.
                Thanks for the heads up...didn't know they offered that customised date - I keep a rolling 6 month fixed account to house corporation tax - is it a minimum of 6 months - max of 11 months? Otherwise you use 12 month fixed...

**EDIT**
                Ignore me - just logged into my account online...term is "From 60 days to 5 years"
                Last edited by DelboyTrotter; 16 January 2017, 09:16. Reason: Searched the answer

Comment

Coming to this party a little late. Indeed I had created a whole new thread on this topic but bearing in mind it is all here, just a couple of questions.

1. Do people here make a point of keeping a max of £85k in separate FRN registered bank accounts? Or do we not really give a damn?

2. Presumably, if people do give a damn and do shift funds around, then they perform all the FRN searches on the FCA Register to ensure one bank is not a sister of another bank, thereby negating the whole £85k per Name per Bank?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Coming to this party a little late. Indeed I had created a whole new thread on this topic but bearing in mind it is all here, just a couple of questions.

1. Do people here make a point of keeping a max of £85k in separate FRN registered bank accounts? Or do we not really give a damn?

2. Presumably, if people do give a damn and do shift funds around, then they perform all the FRN searches on the FCA Register to ensure one bank is not a sister of another bank, thereby negating the whole £85k per Name per Bank?

Thanks in advance.
                    1. Certainly in the last few years I've opened up new deposit accounts to avoid individual balances exceeding £85k.
                    2. Yes. Or check sites like MoneysavingExpert who have a tool to check this

Comment

Working...
                    X