• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax return 2 jobs in year.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return 2 jobs in year.

Doing partners tax return.

She left job 1 end 2015 and started job 2.

I assume 2 x employment pages needed?

Now the problems....

P60 from job 2 has zeroes in the previous employment figures so cant get them from there.

Entire p45 was handed over.

No payslip from job 1. She cant get at the online system and job 1 is being unhelpful and wont provide.

Have asked job 2 if they can provide copy of p45.

Best i can come up if they cant is to fill it in with zero figures for job 1, add a note and hope.

There should be no tax due. It is all paye and the only reason for the tax return is fostering income which is under the allowances.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Trying yo avoid the non submission files.

Yes, the p45 should have been kept. But it wasnt. Ex Employer 1 should be more helpful. But they arent.

If you logon to your partner's HMRC Personal Tax Account and click the "Pay As You Earn (PAYE)" option, you may be able to see the RTI figures that were submitted by the employers.

I can see all the figures on my account, but not sure whether the service is universal.

Comment

If she can't see this on the Government Gateway. Another option would be for her to phone HMRC. In the past I've requested these, HMRC have sent a letter/statement confirming employment income and PAYE, as per their records.

Though, as it's close to the deadline, she could ask if these details were given over the phone to her
      We're all ears!

Comment

If worst comes to worse, you can always submit the tax return with provisional figures, add a note and then go back and submit a correction. Its more important you at least submit something on time to avoid the penalty and if it makes no difference to the net liability you don't have to worry about payments either (normally you'd pay what you estimate you owe on 31 Jan and then if after submitting the correction you owe more you'd pay the extra plus potentially some interest).

There's no attempts to deliberately mislead nor is it, IMO, careless if you're deliberately stating the figures are estimates, so long as you go back and correct them. I would try and enter a best guess rather than zero though.

Realistically, it will never be checked.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 24 January 2017, 15:29.

Comment

Thank you.

She spoke to the helpline. They claim they do not have the info. Grrrrr....

I didnt think to check the paye bit in her account. This shows current employer not previous as well (for the year in question).

Close though.

Comment

Seems strange that they don't have any info. As at that stage the employer should have been doing RTI submissions to confirm the salary payments.

In which case; until Employer 2 comes back with the details from the P45, rather than be late, then submit a provisional return and disclose in the notes box.

Then once you have the information, you can submit a revised return.
            We're all ears!

Comment

Given i know the tax code and have the first payslip from job2 i should be able to use the tax tables to find the cumulative figures that would give rise to the deduction.

Then the difference should be a decent approximation of job 1 numbers to use and explain it is an estimate.

Comment

Working...
              X