• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. They just become market rates and the level playing field continues. To say such a short post on the whole shooting is optimistic is an understatement.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      The ONLY thing this has accomplished is optics. The Government has made themselves look "more fair" in their own eyes, and in the eyes of certain people in the press. That is, until people start looking at the rates compared to what employees are paid and say, "Hey, that's not fair, either!"

It's all stupid.
      Actually, if you were being cynical, you could suggest that this is effectively the Treasury slipping through a cut to the budgets of other departments, under the guise of fairness. Yeah, I'm cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
        Actually, if you were being cynical, you could suggest that this is effectively the Treasury slipping through a cut to the budgets of other departments, under the guise of fairness. Yeah, I'm cynical.
        Hehe, hadn't considered it that way.

Previously contractor charged £100k and suffered £20k in tax. Cost to department budget = £100k.

Now contractor charges £120k and suffers £40k in tax. Cost to department budget = £120k.

UK PLC overall no better/worse off, but the specific departments then need to find cutbacks elsewhere just to keep same overall level of spending, whilst government income goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          Hehe, hadn't considered it that way.

Previously contractor charged £100k and suffered £20k in tax. Cost to department budget = £100k.

Now contractor charges £120k and suffers £40k in tax. Cost to department budget = £120k.
          Only 20k tax on a £100k? Corporation tax is going to be £18k or so must be that a lot of money is being left in the company to avoid HRT, fine for those who don't have high living expenses or is that the typical majority?
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Only 20k tax on a £100k? Corporation tax is going to be £18k or so must be that a lot of money is being left in the company to avoid HRT, fine for those who don't have high living expenses or is that the typical majority?
            Hmm....

£100,000 in

Less £43,000 Salary + Dividends (personal tax on that is a lick over £2000)
            Less £10,000 into a pension
            Less £8,160 Salary to a partner
            Less £2916 childcare vouchers
            Less £1000 to the accountant
            Less £1000 for other stuff like phone, insurance, hosting, christmas party, etc
            Less £16,000 in Corp Tax

Only leaves £18000 or so for retained earnings, and I haven't included stuff like travel expenses, hotels there.

I suspect a good chunk of limited company contractors dont go into higher rate tax. £18,000 left over there isn't 'a lot of money' and would dwindle pretty quickly during a prolonged spell on the bench.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
              Hmm....

£100,000 in

Less £43,000 Salary + Dividends (personal tax on that is a lick over £2000)
              Less £10,000 into a pension
              Less £8,160 Salary to a partner
              Less £2916 childcare vouchers
              Less £1000 to the accountant
              Less £1000 for other stuff like phone, insurance, hosting, christmas party, etc
              Less £16,000 in Corp Tax

Only leaves £18000 or so for retained earnings, and I haven't included stuff like travel expenses, hotels there.

I suspect a good chunk of limited company contractors dont go into higher rate tax. £18,000 left over there isn't 'a lot of money' and would dwindle pretty quickly during a prolonged spell on the bench.
              Sounds pretty typical, for me a GBP 100k gross would be something like -

GBP 11k salary
              GBP 10k divis (half to Mrs Bloggs)
              GBP 40k pension
              GBP 24k expenses for travel and fuel
              GBP 700 for accountant and FreeAgent

Not a lot left for corporation tax to be paid on there really.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It won't be a problem because the extra money goes back to the government anyway. The whole point of this is stop "Daily Mail" articles on contractors ripping off tax payers.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X