• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plumber wins employment rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do KUATB
    I tend not to look in Acc/Legal much these days, it's way too depressing...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      No he was self employed if he is found to be employed then the company employing is responsible for paying the tax. There is case law for this.

That is why IT agencies only use Ltd company contractors.
      Today I learned the difference between a LTD company and self-employed

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        If only he'd asked on here...NLUK would have set him straight.
        Word!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Quoting from the BBC article, I'd like to know how this ruling was formed if he was "technically" self-employed. "Technically", he doesn't sound very self-employed at all. I'm not sure branding is necessarily a deciding factor, but more the fact that he had pretty much no control over when he works. I'm guessing he was also not allowed to work for other plumbing firms or take on his own customers directly either.

Just how much employer's NIC has Mr Mullins got away with not paying all these years?
          According to R4 this morning:
          - he was expected to work 5 days a week
          - he could do as he liked the rest of the time
          - he couldn't poach PP customers to do his own work for
          - he wasn't permitted to send in a substitute
          - it was company policy that a uniform is worn (by all whether employed or not)
          - he had the choice of being employed or self employed

There was no mention of him picking and choosing his jobs - I reckoned he was caught on D&C and RoS - probably, after 6 years, he was screwed all round IR35-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            I tend not to look in Acc/Legal much these days, it's way too depressing...
            Lol well there is that yes.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Y

You are presuming that those who are self-employed but working for one company for years, want to be self-employed.
              There's a two tier system in play; Proper contractors who realised long ago all that permiedom was a load of tulip and so want to be self employed (Let's call these Tier 1). And the Uber drivers and window fitters etc. who by-and-large want the "Security" of a perm job, sick pay etc. (stop tittering at the back). (Tier 2).

My Prediction: A new generation of Agents/Accountants working together with employers to encourage (read coerce/force) the Tier 2 workers above into Limited Co working.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

just to be pedantic he was actually a sparky

But this ruling, along with the one that says your day starts when you leave home, not arrive at site, will have major impact on the construction industry.

Interesting times ahead.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

His solicitor has said

"The government really needs to look at this, It's really hitting people at the bottom"

I'm not sure many people would consider an £80k a year plumber 'at the bottom'.

The arguments though aren't comparable to the PS stuff yet, because in the case of contractors in the PS, the expectation is that you pay full permie tax and NI without the benefits of being an employee. In this case, he argued for employee rights without having had to pay full tax and NI.

(OK, if he was really self-employed, then he would have paid full tax, but nowhere near the right NI).
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

I think the fact that he was not allowed to work for anyone else speaks volumes about the actual terms he was working under as opposed to the terms specified in the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      There was no mention of him picking and choosing his jobs - I reckoned he was caught on D&C and RoS - probably, after 6 years, he was screwed all round IR35-wise.
                      If he was self-employed then IR35 is irrelevant, though the tests for employment vs self-employment are broadly the same and based on the same case law AFAIK. It won't be him picking up the tab for unpaid employers NIC if HMRC decides to pursue this further.

Comment

Working...
                      X