• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant Recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant Recommendation

Having been with the same large chain of contractor accountants since I started contracting I was disappointed to learn that they are shutting the regional branch office at the end of the month (with little notice to me).

Can anyone recommend any accountants who are:
    • Knowledgeable about contracting and issues likely to affect contractors
    • Able to work with either FreeAgent or QuickBooks
    • Prepared to take on accounts part way through the company year
    • Provide similar services to either SJD/Nixon Williams

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 26 February 2017, 16:05.

Gorilla, Dynamo, Maslins, BI, Broome, 1st Online.

Any reason you can't use Google? Perhaps an accountant is the least of your worries.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Any reason you can't use Google? Perhaps an accountant is the least of your worries.
      Thanks for the reply.

Yep... should have expected that but then this isn't general.

Google will give me plenty of information, but not personal recommendations.

Contacted Gorilla (as a number of people on here have recommended them in the past) but they recommended not to move accountants until after the company year end. A bit of a pain as the regional office is closing next week.

Last time they changed the individual within the regional office it wasn't particularly smooth so changing between offices god only knows hence asking the question.

However, I'll go with one of the options I've found already via Google and hope it works out.
      Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 26 February 2017, 15:46.

Comment

How does change changing offices make a difference to your accounting? It's got to be less of an issue than changing accountants mid year surely?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
          Contacted Gorilla (as a number of people on here have recommended them in the past) but they recommended not to move accountants until after the company year end. A bit of a pain as the regional office is closing next week.
          We currently have in place no "catch up fees" (minimum period remaining) as I can imagine a lot of the accountants on here would.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            How does change changing offices make a difference to your accounting? It's got to be less of an issue than changing accountants mid year surely?
            You may well be right.

When they changed accountants within the same office mid last year it wasn't a particularly smooth handover, I suspect in part because many staff left at around the same time.

It's the lack of communication from them in the first place that has brought into sharp focus that perhaps now will be as good a time to move as any as yet another individual has to pick up the accounts and run with them albeit in another office.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

He is asking for recommendations and not just for a list of alternative accountants.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                He is asking for recommendations and not just for a list of alternative accountants.
                Problem is depending on what you want your accountant to do for you is where you have issues.

So for example I was recommended a good contractor accountant near me but I didn't need an accountant to tell me when to take dividends and to calculate VAT so I passed.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I switched to Gorilla this month. That's 5 months into my company year. Perhaps you misinterpreted what they said.
                  It's certainly easier to swap after year end, but only a matter of updating information accurately from the start of the company year into Freeagent (which is done by CSV import anyway).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

That is just a recommendation and it's the same one we give on here as well when someone changes. If it's not possible then just mention you get it but that doesn't suit your needs and would like to go ahead anyway.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X