• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie 6months contract Umbrella vs Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A goldmine of info on here.

So as a newbie to IR35, I’ve got an accounting question related to the use of limited companies:

I’m about to start a four-month gig, deemed inside IR35, through Capita CL-1. Billing through my limited company (50% shareholder with colleague who has the other 50%). First time we’ve ever had anything to do with IR35 but this is an interesting project very local to me so worth taking on. And seems sensible to bill through our existing limited company.

Day rate is £300. Understand that Capita will subtract around £35 or so to cover employer's NICs, so my company will actually be billing them around £265 a day plus VAT. And also understand that Capita will then deduct tax and personal NICs prior to depositing the remainder in my company account. All good and understood so far.

What I’m not clear on is:

1 I’ll have to complete an online timesheet at the end of each month – but I’ll also have to email/send Capita a VAT invoice, yes? So if I say worked 20 days in the month, the invoice would be for £5,300 (20 x £265) plus VAT of £1,060 which = £6,360. Correct?

2 What funds will hit our company account? I assume it will be my post-tax salary PLUS the VAT? I’ll then transfer out the post-tax salary to my personal account but leave the VAT in the company account to settle our VAT bill.

3 As I understand it, my post-tax salary won’t count towards company income (so I won’t get taxed on it twice) but how do you then account for it in your VAT return? Does my pre- or post-tax salary count towards our company turnover in any way?

I really have searched this site hard for answers to these questions – but do point me in the direction of anything specific.

The Capita team have been unable to give me any answers either!

Cheers.

Comment

You should invoice the full amount ignoring any deductions which are dealt with separately. Your accountant will make your IR35 calculations. If you look at FreeAgent guides on IR35( see a link below)you will find useful information to answer your questions. If you are not already using FreeAgent and you plan further work through your company, it is worth considering finding a FreeAgent accountant.

https://www.freeagent.com/support/kb...n_kbarticle?su
      Last edited by Chart Accountancy; 7 April 2017, 07:57.

Comment

Thanks Chart Accountancy - very useful info and link.

Comment

Working...
        X