• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breach of contract? Urgent advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of contract? Urgent advice needed

Hi fellow contracters,

Your advice is much appreciated.

I was recruited for a Head Of Social Media role, replacing the current Head Of Social Media (who has since moved to America).

I received a job request for the role, went to interview stage with the Head Of (and the girl she manages) where it was clear the role was to cover her position.

I signed the contract to be Head Of Social Media, with stated deliverables. I started the position yesterday working with the girl she manages (the Head Of is now in America).

A man in the team took me for coffee OUTSIDE of the workplace and basically said to demote me to the same level as the girl AND said 'the good thing with contracting f course is that I can terminate your contract at any stage'. Basically demote or get rid. I was shocked. He is technically 2 grades lower than my position so I wasn't sure if this was why. I asked him to clarify this with HR so the three of us had a face to face and surprise surprise HR said they couldn't legally change my title or contract at this stage. However the Director (who this man is cosy with) said basically the terms of my contract have changed to basically be more junior.

I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer some advice? I have professional indemnity insurance and employers liabilty insurance. Any help would be much appreciated.

I hate to being race into it but I sensed he had a problem with me from the moment I started - small things, he didn't introduce himself, I did. He assumed I was a lower grade than the role, e.g. not knowing certian software that I have been using extensively for the past 7 years.

What do you think I should do?

Thank you

Move on.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AGovContracterinDigital View Post

What do you think I should do?
      What do you want to do?

You've got a contract for a position more senior than you're being asked to be. Get you timesheets signed and carry on invoicing IMO.

Whilst doing that look for another role as it sounds like you'll be binned as soon as they get an excuse. But don't let that stop you billing your customer.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You don't sound like a head of anything to me.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You've not said whether they are changing your rate or not.

If this is just some guy has an ego problem and it is all about titles, and has nothing to do with compensation or job responsibilities, I'd probably just accept it but not renew.

If it is an actual demotion with more menial work or not enough authority to do what needs to be done, I'd probably keep working but look for a contract somewhere else and dump this one as soon as you have something.

If they are actually cutting your rate, I'd probably just leave now, if you can afford to.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            You've not said whether they are changing your rate or not.
            That's the main thing.

Also, I don't know much about the world of contract social media but your decision will have to reflect the availability of decent roles in the market.

Comment

Keep invoicing. Look elsewhere. Don't burn any bridges.

Good luck.

Comment

If it was a rate cut too I'd be out of there.
                If it was a decent rate for a more junior position then Id stay and look for something else.

You're never going to win the argument though. If a permie kicks off and moans about a contractor then you're never going to win even if you're right.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Move on.
                  +1
                  Move on, they are hoping you will just accept, moving on will cause them more trouble, and will spare you a lot of grief

Comment

Hi, the first thing to sort out is the fact that if you are in a head of position then you are caught inside IR35 by an amendment a few years back. However, if you are now no longer managing people you may not be in that position and need a new contract.

Second point where did the other chap come from? does he actually have the authority to make the change? Personally if you are the head of the department it should be possible for you to find something real tulip for them to waist a year of their lives not accomplishing...

Comment

Working...
                    X