• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depreciation of IT hardware reducing balance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jcochr View Post
    I was thinking that I will keep the company open until the asset has depreciated but that it would be better if the depreciation followed a straight line approach. If I write-off the asset this year then I have to take a reduction in profits and then I have to pay back dividends. If I wait till next year and the asset depreciates then I can avoid this. IMO
    Bit confused by this comment.

If disposing it and having a loss on disposal would make your company insolvent, then presumably if you'd had a more aggressive depreciation policy it would have been the same?

Regardless, it still seems to me that assuming this is just standard contractor fixed assets (ie a laptop and maybe a mobile), then presumably the second hand value is hundreds rather than thousands...in which case it should be fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things and not something to get too worked up about.

Comment

Yes but this year the accountant is saying the following: Please note that due to the loss of the disposal you will have overpaid your dividends as there is not enough profit in the company to pay these. There is now a director loan that will need to be paid back.

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
      Any balancing charges are calculated on the tax WDV (Written down value) which is shown on the tax computations rather than the accounts. The value in the accounts is not the same as the tax WDV. In essence, the tax WDV will be £nil in any case as the assets are likely to have been fully claimed in the first year of purchase.
      Last edited by Jcochr; 2 March 2017, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcochr View Post
        Yes but this year the accountant is saying the following: Please note that due to the loss of the disposal you will have overpaid your dividends as there is not enough profit in the company to pay these. There is now a director loan of £2,152.42 that will need to be paid back.
        Any chance you can quote first and THEN write your response. It's very hard to understand the context with the quote after.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some guys put comments in their code before the line of code they are referencing, so you know what is coming next.
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Any chance you can quote first and THEN write your response. It's very hard to understand the context with the quote after.
          Others put it after the code to explain what they just did. I think that's a stupid way to go, but I'm able to work with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Some guys put comments in their code before the line of code they are referencing, so you know what is coming next.

Others put it after the code to explain what they just did. I think that's a stupid way to go, but I'm able to work with it.
            Typical coders...so one dimensional.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

dividends and director loan connection to write-off of assets

Yes but this year the accountant is saying the following: Please note that due to the loss of the disposal you will have overpaid your dividends as there is not enough profit in the company to pay these. There is now a director loan that will need to be paid back.

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              Any balancing charges are calculated on the tax WDV (Written down value) which is shown on the tax computations rather than the accounts. The value in the accounts is not the same as the tax WDV. In essence, the tax WDV will be £nil in any case as the assets are likely to have been fully claimed in the first year of purchase.

Comment

straight line is aggressive depreciation?

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                Bit confused by this comment.

If disposing it and having a loss on disposal would make your company insolvent, then presumably if you'd had a more aggressive depreciation policy it would have been the same?

Regardless, it still seems to me that assuming this is just standard contractor fixed assets (ie a laptop and maybe a mobile), then presumably the second hand value is hundreds rather than thousands...in which case it should be fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things and not something to get too worked up about.
                Is that a question? The accountant leaves the assets on the books for longer for little benefit. Straight line is more predictable with less admin at the end. I don't think the issue is all that complicated but seems to be very difficult to communicate and this accountant is being deliberately unable to understand simple requests. If you don't depreciate in a straight line way then you get left with assets forever on the books. It is probably helpful for accountants who want to keep clients but not good for Directors.

Comment

I'm not saying straight line is aggressive, but it seems your primary concern is that your assets are still showing a higher NBV when you want it to be (closer to) £nil. A more aggressive depreciation policy would be one that reduced the NBV quicker.

I don't anticipate for one second that the accountant is using reducing balance depreciation policy as a means of keeping you as a client longer. Clients can leave/close regardless of whether assets have a NBV or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X