• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new to contracting, need some advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pabs View Post
    Thank you all very much for your sound advice so far. At the moment I'm just investigating whether it is worth me going into contracting (I think it definitely is!). For what I am doing max salary I've been approached with (from agency) is 55k (I'm currently earning 46). Been a .net developer now for over 13 years and contracting has always appealed to me.

I will do some more research on what my IR35 status would be next week but I guess that all depends on the contract. The one I've applied for (and been put forward to the client) is a private sector software development role on a 3 month rolling contract, would any of you know what the likelihood of that being outside IR35 is?

Also does anyone have first hand experience of Opus?

Once again thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, I'd buy you a pint if I could 🍺
    Here's a great post from Lucy, explaining how umbrella companies vary:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...ey-differ.html

Based on that, the main differentiators will simply be the umbrella fee and the umbrella staff. One you can see for yourself, the other you'll have to go off a recommendation but give the effort Lucy puts in on here, I'd say she should be your first choice.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
    X