contract review service (not purely IR35 focused)? contract review service (not purely IR35 focused)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Nervous Newbie

Default contract review service (not purely IR35 focused)?

Hi all,

I'm a PS contractor and just got offered a new contract by the agency I'm currently working through.
    I'm looking for someone with a legal background to review it. It should not be purely IR35 focused but also covering the points I should consider before I enter into the contract (basically what I'm getting myself into) and ideally negotiate the potential changes on my behalf.
    AFAIK the agency worked closely with QDOS preparing new contracts so I probably would like to avoid QDOS (potential conflict of interest).
    Has any of you used (and can recommend) such services? Thx

Double Godlike!

IPSE? Bauer and Cottrell ? AbbeyTax?

Plenty to choose from
    Join IPSE

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by jackthe1 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a PS contractor and just got offered a new contract by the agency I'm currently working through.
    I'm looking for someone with a legal background to review it. It should not be purely IR35 focused but also covering the points I should consider before I enter into the contract (basically what I'm getting myself into) and ideally negotiate the potential changes on my behalf.
    AFAIK the agency worked closely with QDOS preparing new contracts so I probably would like to avoid QDOS (potential conflict of interest).
    Has any of you used (and can recommend) such services? Thx
    Don't see any myself, but your call

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Someone who knows both contractor-like commercials and IR35 is difficult to find I've discovered over the years. Can I suggest you go through IPSE; their review looks at the whole commercial arrangements. Discounted for members of course...
    Blog? What blog...?

Super poster

Numerous agencies have told me that or something very similar, believe me it's a lie.
    When I subsequently send the contract for review by QDOS, lots of things come back that need to be changed

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Numerous agencies have told me that or something very similar, believe me it's a lie.
    When I subsequently send the contract for review by QDOS, lots of things come back that need to be changed
    Of course there is no conflict: for one thing what QDOS input to the contract writing may not have survived to the final drafts. But as they themselves have said, their reviews are for IR35. That's not what the OP is asking for. A commercial contract review that pays full attention to IR35 at the same time is not that easy to find, especially when some elements (for example payment guarantees that are commercially desirable but at the expense of MOO) are potentially mutually exclusive.
    Blog? What blog...?

Super poster

He can go to any solicitor for a legal review

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    He can go to any solicitor for a legal review
    You could but they need to understand the industry sector you are in otherwise their advice will contradict with IR35.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Of course there is no conflict: for one thing what QDOS input to the contract writing may not have survived to the final drafts. But as they themselves have said, their reviews are for IR35. That's not what the OP is asking for. A commercial contract review that pays full attention to IR35 at the same time is not that easy to find, especially when some elements (for example payment guarantees that are commercially desirable but at the expense of MOO) are potentially mutually exclusive.
    I think some of your anti-QDOS comments are bordering on libel - they do offer legal reviews, they're just not bundled into the same product as their IR35 reviews (£200 vs £50)

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by pr1 View Post
    I think some of your anti-QDOS comments are bordering on libel - they do offer legal reviews, they're just not bundled into the same product as their IR35 reviews (£200 vs £50)
    Nonsense. They recently made that point themselves and an IR35 review is what 90% of people are asking for, rather than the full contract review (and seems to be the only concern ever mentioned on these boards whan talking about reviews). The IPSE offering is much more expensive that the QDOS IR35 review but cheaper than their IR35 and Commercials reviews combined Hence why I suggested it.

The OP is not asking for that however, he was asking for people that do both but does not want to use QDOS for what he sees as good reason.
    Blog? What blog...?