• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - Why is Belgium so complicated!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    OP describes Business to Business arrangements and has nothing to do with his personal freedom of work and movement inside the EU. Now imagine if OP had to add the mess of securing a Visa and sponsorship for said visa to the equation. Most likely result would have been instant drop of his application by the Client, no one likes hassle.
    and this is how it is going to be after Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      and this is how it is going to be after Brexit
      Visitor visa is about 3 to 6 months correct? Still business to business charges. I really think it is up to the business how they want to get around stuff like that. Went to the US on a "business trip" for training and working there for over a month, 6 months visa, colleagues from India couldn't join due to visa complications, other colleagues from Philippines did. Last permanent role I did before going contracting.

If the business is conducted by the two companies, contract clearly set out, I am not sure that it matters if you go there on a visitor visa and do some work for them. It would matter if you went there, got paid there as an individual.

Comment

Working on a visit visa or Schengen visa is an absolute no-no. USA a bit more lax.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Working on a visit visa or Schengen visa is an absolute no-no. USA a bit more lax.
          Yes, Trump is well known for his laissez faire attitude.

Comment

Bottom line, OP assumed that Belgium has the same way of working as the UK...

I've worked across the world and pretty much every country has a different way of working (greater/lessor extent), especially when in a B2B environment.

Comment

After 180 days in a calendar year everybody needs to pay taxes, so what are you guys problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                After 180 days in a calendar year everybody needs to pay taxes, so what are you guys problem?
                Explain?

Comment

Originally posted by B34ker View Post
                  The Social Security side vs NI is still unclear as I type.
                  Order an A1 certificate from HMRC to evidence that you are covered by UK NI. There should then be no social security contributions due in Belgium for up to 2 years (on average).

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
                    Bottom line, OP assumed that Belgium has the same way of working as the UK...
                    It sort of is. If you come to the UK to work as a foreign contractor, the client is forced to operate PAYE (even without an agency in between) unless the foreign contractor sets up a UK company. Same for foreign contractors working in Belgium.

Comment

Working...
                    X